Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My girlfriend has a '01 ZX3 with the brake problem that seems to be pretty well known. Well she just had to have her front pads and rotors replaced at her own expense because Ford apparently doesn't want to acknowledge this problem and cover it under the warranty. Anyway, the local brake shop replaced the rotors and put on ceramic brake pads in hope of saving the rotors in the future. I’m not too sure whether or not the ceramic pads will do much good. Does anybody have any experience in getting the focus front brakes fixed for good? Or at least get it to a point where she doesn't need to replace the brake every 20,000 miles. TIA for any pointers.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i'm assuming her main problem was the excessive amount of brake dust left by the stockers. i haven't used ceramics on my own ride yet, but i work for a parts store that sells raybestos quietstop ceramics and people only seem to say good things about them. as a matter of fact, one of our biggest commercial customers uses the ceramic pads exclusively. i'm thinking about using them when the time comes, but i'm also considering some performance pads. the only downside i've heard is that they may cause a slightly worse stopping distance due to the lower coefficient of friction, but they wear better, last longer, and don't leave dust!

Mike

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use a ceramic/metallic pad ("quiet" type pads from O'Reiley's Autoparts), and they are great! Now my problem is with the crappy drums in the rear!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hated havin to clean the brake dust off the front wheels every other day! Luckily i solved that by getting dark rims so it does not show as much anymore!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I thought this problem was only on year 2000 models? I had mine replaced at 25k miles and now I'm almost at 50k and if they say I need new ones I'm getting Brembo's.[?|]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chenc544 said:
Hi all. My girlfriend has a '01 ZX3 with the brake problem that seems to be pretty well known. Well she just had to have her front pads and rotors replaced at her own expense because Ford apparently doesn't want to acknowledge this problem and cover it under the warranty. Anyway, the local brake shop replaced the rotors and put on ceramic brake pads in hope of saving the rotors in the future. I’m not too sure whether or not the ceramic pads will do much good. Does anybody have any experience in getting the focus front brakes fixed for good? Or at least get it to a point where she doesn't need to replace the brake every 20,000 miles. TIA for any pointers.
The abnormal brake wear is caused by brake dust?
So by using ceramic pads the brake dust is no longer a problem and the pads/rotors should be more durable… I guess that makes sense. Maybe the pads can last about 50,000 miles like other cars… [rolleyes]
The crazy thing is the brakes never even squeak. We didn’t even know that the pads are gone and going metal to metal with the rotor until they were inspected.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well the rotors MIGHT last 50 thousand smiles pushing but wouldnt drive a mile past 30 thousand an anything at least have them resurfaced by 30, i was thinking 20 for pads anyway, man brakes are a big safety factor when driving. My moms explorer has the brake pads redone twice already and its at 66 thousand miles safety first. Now the rotors should last to the full 30 at least but ford changed my moms rotors when they were warped, the truck had like 15 thousand miles on it and there was no recall that i remember.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sound like Ford is having problem with the durability of the brakes on their products.
We also had problem with the OEM Firestone tires. 3 out of 4 original tires have busted belts and had to be replaced. I'm sure my girlfriend probably ran over a pothole or two but I really can't understand how they can bubble so easily. And she is the slowest driver known to man, drives me crazy. Anyway, she has had it with Ford and is never buying another one. I thought that was rather unfortunate but I guess that's how you loss customers...

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not might figure they want 50 thousand out of rotors,if that is low sorry man but i dont like the idea like i said my moms truck is on its third set, fourth if you count the warranty replacement.

Does it soudn like i said something different, sorry i didnt fall asleep last night so this it was typing half dead.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
it's really hard to gauge the standard life cycle of brake pads, though, bc it really depends on so many things. driving style, weight bias, wheel size and weight (if aftermarket, especially). i can sell the exact same set of pads to two different customers. one might be back in 2 years, the other might not be back until 5. yeah, ford's pads suck, but they're a wear item. as long as they don't fall apart and do their job, Ford has lived up to their end. best bet is just to go aftermarket and be done with it.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting reading. My wife has a 03 focus zx3 and the firestone buns that came with it were really bad as well. even with rotations and alignments, they still popped and wore uneven. I just put yokos on it and will see how they work out. As for the brakes... i noticed, just by looking at the rotor from outside the wheel, that a small lip has developed on the outer edge of the rotor. Is that normal on these cars? cause I have never seen that before. If that is not normal, then the brake problems may not have been fixed on the 03 models. Anyone got suggestions on that one? The ford dealership never told me if that was normal or not... just gave me a blank stare and a big ole "screw you"

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Odd. My old 2001 had 30,000 miles on it when I sold it, and the original brakes were in good condition.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hmmm... this is quite interesting...... i have a 2003 ZX5 that just hit 15,000 miles and im starting to hear my brakes squeal....... maybe its cause im an agressive driver, but if theirs really a defect with the brakes, ill swap em out and just get brembo's......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts