Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUGGESTIONS??

After temp gage registers near mid point or 1/4 below mid point I >>HAVE<< plenty GOOD heat coming out of vents ( ALL speeds of fan works ).

When pulling to a stop & dropping below 1000 rpm fans then only blows cold air

ANY help appreciated, any suggestions other than below?

I've read the following:
a) Check level of fluid ( OK but was below min line )
b) Flush
c) Replace thermostat
d) Replace heater core

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You can add water pump to the list & drop the heater core since you DO get good heat most of the time.

One first check is to see if the temp changes consistently when using the temp control knob. This is to make sure the control is holding the "blend door" that controls temps in place & it's not loose. IF it flopped on it's own temps could change as it was blown to a different position.

Poor water circulation from a water pump problem could drop heat at low engine rpm, air pocket from a blocked bleed hose is a possibility. Just how low it was on coolant and whether it fills up properly now as you add & check is the most obvious possibility.

Thermostat stuck open would generally result in low heat all the time as the engine doesn't warm up to normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS 4 quick reply, well W/pump was replaced within last 10/15 thousand miles so I think that's ok,
I'll check temp knob,
Concerning the door, is it easy access where I could physically prop it in needed position?
Fluid from memory was between LOW line and bottom of holder, I always saw some IN the holding tank, I don't THINK it ever sloshed around or got low enough to suck up air in system but that's a guess, I'll put car on ramps while running & massage hoses as I've read. Thank you for your opinion/suggestion
Below 30, wind chill below 20 here in Georgia, for sure NOT used to this!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not an easy access to that door, it's inside the HVAC unit.

Here's a "stickie" on common problems with the doors:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302320

The coolant system SHOULD self bleed using the small hoses you see going to the reservoir, clog in one of those COULD prevent that. Pulling those off to see if coolant flows out or if you can blow back through them without obstruction would be one check if there seems to be a bleeding problem.

Anything below min level is obviously not good, filled to the high mark might help out (keep mine at that level).

That's not common for GA, right now it's 18* here and the area south of me is closed down from extreme snow (2'+ on the level, 3-5" /hr where it's coming down - 3' forecast there not including drifting)

·
Registered
17,467 Posts
Change the thermostat, depending on where it's sticking open could easily barely heat to where you think good but overcool at idle. True 'good' heat should be very uncomfortable not just hot.

Quarter below midpoint will be maybe 160 degrees; at the low flow of a partially stuck stat the heater blower could easily pull what little heat you have out of the core to run cold.

Easy and cheap enough to do anyway before going deeper. Make sure small hole in stat edge faces dead straight up to match the small port in the front cover.

Hey sailor saw that snow in Buffalo, and I'm b-tching because it's 56 here today! You just can't please some people eh?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts