Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Focus ZX3 with a 5-spd transmission. I went to NAPA to pick up some fluid and they said to run ATF Mercon. I picked up some Royal Purple Synthetic...is this the proper fluid to use??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mercon V is what the Haynes manual says to put in. I have the same car as you and I used the Mercon V.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not Mercon, Ford used that on early Focus and it didn't work too well. Motorcraft Synthetic Gear Lube is the best, get it at the dealer. (~18$ a qt) Some people say that Royal Purple motor oil is OK, but I'm not too sure 'bout that. Redline tranny fluid is prolly OK too. Search around here and you'll find lots of opinions.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
royal purple syncromax i think it is called i put it in a buddy's car and the shift is so much better

·
Registered
288 Posts
The MTX-75 in my '01 Zetec came filled with Mercon V ATF transmission fluid from the factory. Changed this ATF transmission fluid to “Ford Gold” Fully Synthetic Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS. This was the single best modification I ever made to the car. Butter smooth shifts, vastly better cold-weather perfomance, and dramatically reduced transmission noise. $16 a quart but good is never cheap.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
wow, i learn something new today... 5-speed does need tranny fluids... how hard is it to drain a how much will i need to fill it up?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
No MTX75 has Mercon in it. If it does, its way too thin and will damage the trans.. Its supposed to ues XT-M5-QS Motorcraft fluid. Thats synthetic manual trannjy fluid. Thats for ALL mtx-75 trans.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
just go rp and you will be all good it comes in different wheights and viscosities

·
Registered
975 Posts
i used the RP sycromax and i liked it. its about $12 pr/q

·
Registered
788 Posts
And RP takes the win!! I just bought that when i just did my clutch swap, much much better. Before i had that stuff in there, chk chk (what it sounded like putting it in first), now, nothing at all. And its cheaper than the motorcraft it looks like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts