Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im having problems with my 2001 stalling it bogs down really bad when i press down on gas but when i take my foot off of the gass acts like it wants to go. i replaced fule fuse also dealer put new fuel pump on about 2 years ago. had catalytic converter checked and thats ok but am getting the smell when it bogs down and i push gas it also backfires sometimes when i do this. please help

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Any Check engine lights?

If so, take your car to a parts store and have them read the check engine codes for you. This will answer most of you question with out needing to make so many guessed.

If not, try replacing your fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^^ that would help a lot, "code" could be avail. as a 'pending" type even if the light isn't lit yet.

Might guess TPS, but it's better if you would have tools for testing & some knowledge before just throwing parts at it on a guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^ that would help a lot, "code" could be avail. as a 'pending" type even if the light isn't lit yet.

Might guess TPS, but it's better if you would have tools for testing & some knowledge before just throwing parts at it on a guess.
ok no light on or throwing any codes could it also be a maf . i did unplug that to see if it would run better and there was no change so pluged it back in but i thought if maf was out i would get light

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
The 'smell when it bogs down' and backfire and bog all say serious misfiring issues loading cat up with raw fuel. Could even be jumped timing belt. You're melting the cat guts and will be walking soon, more than one thing to fix there I'd bet.

The PCM often does not light code until the problem has been there a long time. Up to driver to keep car in good enough shape so that it becomes much easier to find and fix the issue, if everything left long term to simply fall apart then the 'throwing parts at it' game will be expensive indeed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts