Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ZX3 with just shy of 200,000 miles on it and a 5 spd manual. Over the summer the alternator went. I was able to drive it 5 miles home before the battery gave up as well. It took about 2 weeks for parts and my own labor, but I was able to replace the alternator and the battery.
In general, it runs well. During the day, it can idle, still pulls strong in all gears, and can run with just about all electrical systems on without any problem.
However, when it is dark, the second I put the headlights on I have a huge problem. The engine still runs fine while driving, however whenever I go into Neutral, or hold the clutch, the engine stalls. The RPM's typically drop pretty quickly once any rev's come to an end, and unless I have my foot both on the brake and hovering over the gas pedal, it stalls quick enough that I can't catch it. Though like I said, normal driving still had no problems.

Any ideas of what it could be? It never did it before the alternator or battery was replaced, but I don't know if that could be the issue.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat (better for repair questions).

How are the voltages? (to see if it's working right/communicating with the PCM)

PCM uses the IACV mentioned to increase throttle to maintain idle under load (like when turning on lights), a vacuum leak hurts that control & a sticky IAC won't respond well.

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
Quick two questions. What is the iacv? And how would I go about checking for vacuum leaks?
IACV is the idle air control valve. It's near the throttle body, and not hard to get to.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...8B868C58CBBD7D158DEDDFE0EA500&selectedIndex=6

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...F8C43F135CEE4733F536D5114425F&selectedIndex=4

I recently cleaned mine out, it took a few minutes. It helped a bit, but I do need to buy one soon.

An easy way to check for vacuum leaks is to just listen for hissing sounds. The couple vacuum leaks I've had were loud and could easily be heard with the car idling and the hood open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help so far. A few things. I checked the voltage with the lights on and off. It remained at 14.8 so it isn't a problem with the battery or alternator.
I then started listening like you guys mentioned. It sounds like there is a hissing in the back but I'm having trouble isolating the sound. Can you give me so ideas as to where the leaks commonly come from or which hoses are vacuum lines?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after going through a good check, I think I found the problem. There is a hose that is under the throttle body, which I think goes around the engine to the PCV valve. There is a 90 degree elbow that goes back into the engine. There is a big soft spot and possibly cracked. So the quick question, does anyone know what part this is or where to find the replacement? I've looked a little so far but so far I haven't found what looks to be the correct part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I went looking for a PCV hose I was told that it was some huge amount of money and that I would have to order it from Ford (this was at Oreilly's). Went to Car Quest and had to trim a flare off of a slightly different hose, $5 later, job done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts