Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally started up the rebuilt SPI today. Rebuilt head, new pistons and rings all new bearings and gaskets.

Pulled the plugs and turned it over several times before letting it fire.

Started right up and quieted down fairly quickly. I had put in three quarts of coolant, and wanted to add in some water to complete the system, so I shut off the car and went to get some water.

I returned from the house to find a clear puddle under the car.

Nice clear puddle of new engine oil. The oil appears to be coming from the crank pulley, guess I fat-fingered the front crank seal installation?

Still miffed at myself. Is the seal replaceable with the engine in place?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wednesday Update!

Pulled the front of the motor apart yesterday and replaced the seal today. I checked all of my pictures and I did place the gasket between the oil pump and the block.

The oil appears to have come from between the seal and the oil pump housing, not the crank and seal.

I'd add some images, but can't seem to comprehend the forum photo system.

Anyway, here are some links to DropBox images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3cty3e1acghgme/2019-08-13%2017.44.57.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi2i488z2xm3sti/2019-08-14%2019.22.59.jpg?dl=0

Got most of the pieces back in place and the motor mount installed, but then realized I should have installed the belt before installing the motor mount. Time to go rent/buy a serpentine belt tool - or come back tomorrow and remove the motor mount and install the belt.

I did reinstall the timing belt, no sign of oil and it had less than 1 minute of run time. :)

Thanks for reading.

Mike

M.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,267 Posts
Pulled the front of the motor apart yesterday and replaced the seal today. I checked all of my pictures and I did place the gasket between the oil pump and the block.

The oil appears to have come from between the seal and the oil pump housing, not the crank and seal.

I'd add some images, but can't seem to comprehend the forum photo system.

Anyway, here are some links to DropBox images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3cty3e1acghgme/2019-08-13 17.44.57.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi2i488z2xm3sti/2019-08-14 19.22.59.jpg?dl=0

Got most of the pieces back in place and the motor mount installed, but then realized I should have installed the belt before installing the motor mount. Time to go rent/buy a serpentine belt tool - or come back tomorrow and remove the motor mount and install the belt.

I did reinstall the timing belt, no sign of oil and it had less than 1 minute of run time. ?

Thanks for reading.

Mike

M.
This forum is slowly dying off. Good job. If it leaks again you might consider a different brand of seal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thursday Update (8/15/19)

Update - after starting the car, and watching for the leak, it seems that the leak was coming from the oil pump housing.

Then I found this thread, discussing leaks and one of the posters stating that his rebuilt head didn't have the camshaft seal. As I had purchased a rebuilt head, with the valve seats repaired I thought perhaps I have the same problem.

Sure enough...

<click on link for image>

No seal! I'm still a moron! :)

If you can't laugh at yourself, who else can you laugh at?

Oh well, I was thinking that I was going to need to remove the oil pan and reseal the oil pump. All along it was something relatively simple - and it was all my fault!

Hopefully my next post tomorrow will be reporting a success. Where the car runs without emulating the Exxon Valdez. :)

Thanks for reading!

M.

·
Registered
2006 ZX3 2.0, 2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,267 Posts
Update - after starting the car, and watching for the leak, it seems that the leak was coming from the oil pump housing.

Then I found this thread, discussing leaks and one of the posters stating that his rebuilt head didn't have the camshaft seal. As I had purchased a rebuilt head, with the valve seats repaired I thought perhaps I have the same problem.

Sure enough...

<click on link for image>

No seal! I'm still a moron! ?

If you can't laugh at yourself, who else can you laugh at?

Oh well, I was thinking that I was going to need to remove the oil pan and reseal the oil pump. All along it was something relatively simple - and it was all my fault!

Hopefully my next post tomorrow will be reporting a success. Where the car runs without emulating the Exxon Valdez. ?

Thanks for reading!

M.
Lol. Good catch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm reading.....

Congrats on your hard work! I'm in the middle putting my SPI back together after having all my parts and head sitting on a shelf for five years. I've had other cars and ot wasn't a priority....until now.

I'm hoping to have mine back together in the next three weekends. Long hours at work only allow me one day a weekend Focus on this project.

I'll be looking for any new posts on final result.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Make SURE you FULLY clean the intake of trash or do the whole job over again when it blows up in minutes.

There is a water and vacuum fitting that are easy to confuse and backwards hooked up then fills engine with water in intake and oil pan, needless to say that won't work either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make SURE you FULLY clean the intake of trash or do the whole job over again when it blows up in minutes.

There is a water and vacuum fitting that are easy to confuse and backwards hooked up then fills engine with water in intake and oil pan, needless to say that won't work either.
What he said! [hihi]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll be done putting my spi back together again this weekend. I did the same and put in new pistons and rings. Did you just run regular oil at startup?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be done putting my spi back together again this weekend. I did the same and put in new pistons and rings. Did you just run regular oil at startup?
Yes, cheap oil for the startup and subsequent change.

Sorry for the delayed response and congratulations on the rebuild! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts