Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I've got a 2001 SE Wagon with an automatic and 113,000 miles. I've recently replaced the thermostat housing, thermostat, plastic pipe above the radiator and installed a junkyard overflow bottle. My most recent problem was a massive leak from cracks in the overflow bottle and that plastic pipe had a huge crack. The car runs fine now in normal traffic but in stop and go traffic or at idle the water temperature gauge goes to red in about 2 minutes. I can smell coolant burning sometimes so I suspect there is still a small leak somewhere. I'm mostly running water right now until I can figure out what the problem is. Thanks!

toby

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
System CAN be "pressure tested" for leaks, BUT if you aren't loosing coolant - the most likely suspect is the famous cooling fan resistor issue, where the low speed doesn't work & it only comes on in "high" mode when it's VERY hot....

Luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
System CAN be "pressure tested" for leaks, BUT if you aren't loosing coolant - the most likely suspect is the famous cooling fan resistor issue, where the low speed doesn't work & it only comes on in "high" mode when it's VERY hot....

Luck!
I think this may be it. I only ever hear the fan when the gauge is super high. I'll do some research on it. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the resistor and pigtail and now the fans both work! I still have a slight leak somewhere I think because I can smell burning coolant from the front of the car. No more overheating so far. Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts