Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Small introduction: Father has been auto tech for 50+ years. I go to school for it also and work on customer cars there. I also work at a Hardware/Parts store.

_______

I own a 2001 Ford Focus SE Zetec engine DOHC.

My sister has the car way before me and it sat for a while after, well she broke a key off in the ignition. So we reprogrammed it and left half the key in it, was cheaper than replacing it and such at the time. Well the security system seems to not like you have you reprogram anything in the car. This hasn't been us, we have seen others with the same problem.

But it does work most the time, until something drains your battery. In my case it was an alternator(and the battery wouldn't hold it charge after charging it), I got 3 years out of it and decided it was just going replace that. So we replaced both of them. This was back in June, well after we replaced them both the car would not start. We keep it simple and went straight to the fuses, on my engine compartment fuse box F8 is the Ignition fuse. We pulled that and put it back in. Works like a charm.

Well what is wrong with it now? Nothing, but in the last month I had a customer come to the store with same issue, we sold her a new battery and wouldn't run. Removed fuse and it worked perfectly.

Friday my father had the same thing with a customer car. Now is the time here in Michigan where battery are taking poops on us and I wanted to see what you guys think is causing it. It only happens to reprogrammed keys here.

Any ideas.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
WHAT only happens to reprogrammed keys?

(key isn't programmed BTW, the car ECU is programmed with which key codes to accept)

Pulling & reinserting a fuse to clean corroded contacts to make it work is a std. fix. Not needed too often but it IS a regular check to do when there is a fuse box problem. (try to convince folks to try that before looking for more difficult problems to find)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey guys,

Small introduction: Father has been auto tech for 50+ years. I go to school for it also and work on customer cars there. I also work at a Hardware/Parts store.

_______

I own a 2001 Ford Focus SE Zetec engine SOHC.
Welcome to FF. Glad your here. The Zetec engine is the DOHC variant. SOHC is the SPI. [grinking]

I would check grounds to make sure nothing is shorting. It's always good measure just to sand down metal contacts anywhere in the system too. That's what I always do. Anything that is easily reachable anyway.

Best of luck to yah! [welcome]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts