Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long time reader, first time poster. can't seem to find a thread that is similar to mine. I purchased this car a month ago with 220,000 kms on it(2001 ford focus se DOHC), needed an oil pan and i thought that was it. Was driving fine for me for a couple weeks but then i noticed the car would have no power when i step on the gas, it chugs hard and it stalled on me a few times. i brought it home, pulled out the spark plug wires, i noticed oil in the spark plug wells, all 4 of them (valve cover gasket?). i cleaned out all the oil and then i removed the spark plugs and i cleaned them up with some brake parts cleaner and put everything together and it started up great, didn't hear any chugging, i took it for a spin and it had lots of power. after i got off the highway, the chugging came back, very harsh chugging, only when i stepped on the throttle quickly, if i feathered the pedal it would accelerate fine up to 3-3.5k rpms then it would chug again. i got it home and pulled the wires off again, no oil at all in the wells. i checked the coil pack and i noticed 2 very large cracks on the top, i didn't have the 8mm on me so i don't know what it looks like on the bottom. I was just wondering if the coil pack IS in fact my issue? before i go and buy the part. sorry if i wasn't informative enough, let me know if you need to know anything else. TIA.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cracked coil pack is a sign of Junk on these, def. need that.

Oil seepage from the valve cover gasket could be slow, something to keep an eye on to decide when to replace.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Sailor nailed it, happened to me last year (SOHC). Had no power, changed the coil pack, instant relief.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts