Focus Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've owned it for about a year it's just your basic coupe. I think maybe it's an se. I believe I've checked all the fuses and also the relays. What does the security light being on indicate... I can't find any info on that.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I believe I've checked all the fuses and also the relays. What does the security light being on indicate... I can't find any info on that.
With the key off when the security light is flashing 1/sec it means the system is operating normally. If it does not go out when the key is turned to ON that means the PATS transceiver is not getting a signal from the chip in the key. That can be due to many issues including power feed or ground feed. That is why I asked so many questions about what is working.

Paul

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
So, seeing how the pats light is on, then I wouldn't have to look at things such as the ignition switch, transmission safety switch, correct?
Possibly. Keep in mind that on this generation of Focus the PATS functionality is controlled inside the PCM (ie not a separate module).

Does anyone know of a way to jump out the transmission safety switch? So I can see if that's it?
Its called the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) and located on the front lower part of the 4F27E AT. The connector has 9 pins. I would not try to 'jump' (bypass) the contacts on the harness side but you could test the sensor itself:
In PARK continuity between
1 - 5, 6 - 9
In NEUTRAL continuity between
1 - 8, 6 - 9

Pin 1 on the harness side should be hot (battery voltage) any time the key is in ON or START

1 GRN/ORG
5 GRN/YEL
6 GRY/RED
8 GRN/RED
9 GRY

Paul

Font Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part Schematic

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am about to check the TRS but last night I stuck the key in, turned it to on position( pats light stayed lit) and waited a few minutes. The pats light started flashing a sequence of 2:1. I waited a full 15 minutes to see if it would just reset but it did not. Does the flashing pats sequence mean anything significant?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I am about to check the TRS but last night I stuck the key in, turned it to on position( pats light stayed lit) and waited a few minutes. The pats light started flashing a sequence of 2:1. I waited a full 15 minutes to see if it would just reset but it did not. Does the flashing pats sequence mean anything significant?
Ive not heard about that mode before - it might be some kind of diagnostic mode but Im not certain. Normal with key off is about 1 flash/sec. When failed it is either on steady or flashing rapidly.

When you shut the key off did it go back to 1 flash/sec?

Paul

Reactions: pbfoot
21 - 34 of 34 Posts