Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Ford Focus Air Bag Light (Code 1-3)

Hey guys,

My friend's car has an unknown history, but I would like very much to help them out to repair their airbag light issue.
What we know:
2004 Ford FOCUS SE C
Air Bag Light (Flashes 1, pause, then 3 times) - I believe the code is 1-3.

I've been searching the web and forums - it seems the code shows different results depending where you look. It is also known that owner tried replacing ACM with a known good working unit from a different car. The light and code persisted. Maybe ACM has to be registered?
Does every wire need to be checked for shorts?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

I also took a picture of the ACM, if it helps at all:

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Waiting on someone with a list of codes to happen by, BTW - only a unit that matches the exact model/year will work, too many changes to these for much interchange.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waiting on someone with a list of codes to happen by, BTW - only a unit that matches the exact model/year will work, too many changes to these for much interchange.
A little more data came by. The seat pretensioners appear to be in good condition (visually not fired). I am also trying to see if a workshop manual would allow me to test the Control Module using a multimeter somehow? Or is wishful thinking?
Found this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280052

I wouldn't mind sending the unit out to be "reset" by experts, if it is indeed the issue?

Appreciate the support.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2004 focus RCM flash code 13 DTC B1231 Longitudinal acceleration threshold exceeded (Crash Occurred)
Crash data memory full is caused by the following: a crash event that deployed the air bags

If no other faults exist the fix for this is a new RCM which needs to be configure(programmed) for that car
with a ford Integrated Diagnostic System(IDS).
Checking for other faults before and after a new RCM is installed is the only way to be sure
entire system is ok.

RCM restraint control module same as airbag control module in picture

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2004 focus RCM flash code 13 DTC B1231 Longitudinal acceleration threshold exceeded (Crash Occurred)
Crash data memory full is caused by the following: a crash event that deployed the air bags

If no other faults exist the fix for this is a new RCM which needs to be configure(programmed) for that car
with a ford Integrated Diagnostic System(IDS).
Checking for other faults before and after a new RCM is installed is the only way to be sure
entire system is ok.

RCM restraint control module same as airbag control module in picture
Very helpful. These units are being sold on ebay as well (ebay). Some are as low as $10. I suppose even if I happen to buy one without a crash, a trip to Ford is still required to match the new (or used) unit to the car. Hmmm, well looks like I can' really help with much - the car is unregistered for now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been out of the Focus game for a while but I'm back for a little while. I had air bag trouble on my 2004 D23 ZX3 back in 2011 or 2012, I can't remember. I'm a little rusty on it, but let me know if you still need help.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
The replacement module would have same code if from a junkyard car that had the bags go off. Each module is set to the exact car, VIN and other things are in there. Another module from EXACT same year and type of car will work but the info inside module will not be right and insurance co. can refuse to pay in case of accident over that saying the system has been 'tampered with'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts