Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my alternator replaced 2 weeks ago and the other day came out to my car and heard just one click when I tried to start the engine. This persisted for 30 mins and then finally engaged the engine to start properly.

I thought it was a bad starter, but also noticed the following oddities:
  1. All power windows were responding intermittently during this episode and once driving after the car started
  2. When I had the key turned to power on, I was unable to put my foot on the brake and move from Park to Neutral (AT)
  3. Battery and Alternator tested perfectly and we even tried to jump it and knock on the starter

Could this be a starter related issue? starter relay? ignition? wiring? electrical module? fuse or relay? The engine has been running kinda rough which may be unrelated. It starts in park for a few mins at 1250 RPM and then heads to 750 bouncing here and there to about 1000RPM.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I noticed when parking that moving my wheel all the way one direction dropped my RPMs and made the car feel like it wanted to stall.

The car also randomly will not start with no noise or clicking and then be fine to start later..

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are all wire brushed clean and I reconnected and tightened the terminals. Would this be fuse related? Seem electrical not timing belt...thought that has never been replaced and i have 104k miles - i just don't want to drop much more money into this car since it may be worth like 2500 max

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check the high-current ground from the battery negative post to the engine block. This is the heavy-gauge (#6 I believe) that runs from the negative terminal on the battery to a bolt on top of the transmission bell housing that goes into the engine block. Brass-wire-brush the ring lug at the end of this wire and wire brush the bolt. Coat with silicone grease and reinstall. I had to remove a lot of stuff from the top of my engine to even find this bolt.

The one click means you've got high resistance in the starter circuit somewhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow - is this a do it yourself type of thing? what would i have to remove..wish there was photos etc on this process to find the ground.

Most recently it seems to be starting more often than not..but it hasn't been clicking at all when trying to start now. all accessories are functional though..

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can I just run a new ground wire if the bell housing is too hard to access? If so....where to run it..what gauge...etc....

Thanks

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
A one click no start almost always is a starter issue. The click you hear is the solenoid engaging and allowing power to flow to the main starter motor. If this motor is bound up (ie, bad starter) it won't actually happen.

If you have a voltmeter, you can test to make sure the starter is indeed the problem. Attach the negative probe of the meter to the negative battery cable and with the key on (sometimes it doesn't matter) attach the positive probe to the large stud on the starter. You should have the equivalent of battery voltage to this stud on the starter at all times.

Now attach the positive probe to the signal wire going to the solenoid. This wire should get battery voltage when the key is turned to the start position. If both of these check out fine, replace that starter, cause its bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts