Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, first post on here. I have a 2001 Focus SE with the Zetec DOHC, and it developed some issues after I took off the EGR valve and cleaned it. Here's the story:

My engine was running perfectly fine, but I was bored and decided that cleaning my EGR valve would be a good use of my time (spoiler -- it wasn't). I took it of, and it was holding a vacuum just fine and actuating, so I carb-cleaned it and put it back on. NOW it starts acting like it has EGR problems (i.e. runs okay when cold, but when it gets up to operating temp it will idle fine but bog under any amount of throttle input).

Things I've tried:
-Replaced the EGR valve; no change
-Replaced EGR vacuum solenoid; no change
-Making sure I didn't over tighten the mounting bolts for the EGR valve; they're fine
-Sprayed carb cleaner around the area to listen for rising rpms; no response
-Taking the vacuum-in line off the EGR solenoid and testing for vacuum; it has it
-Putting vacuum on the EGR valve while idling; immediately stalls the engine

It must have been something I forgot to do, right? What else should I try? Kind of at a loss here.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Great lesson in 'if its not broke dont fix it'.
Do you have a code scanner that can read live data?

Paul

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Lesson learned, I guess.
No, I don't have a scanner. Side note: it's not throwing any CEL's.
If you had a scan tool and could look at live data you can sometimes see something that stands out. I cant guess at what you may have done to cause this issue based on what you said you did before and after. The only think I can think of is that perhaps you unhooked something (vaccum hose, electrical connector, etc) accidentally when your r/r'd the EGR valve.

Paul

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
No EGR valve is supposed to have vacuum to it at idle, engine dies as that is a vacuum leak. If the solenoid is providing vacuum at warm idle the DPFE is dead. Or vacuum lines reversed on it. You say you changed the solenoid or that leaking too.

You NEVER use a solvent like carb cleaner on an EGR valve, it ruins the delicate rubber diaphragm inside. Not needed on a zetec anyway, they hardly ever build up deposits in them like some other designs do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you had a scan tool and could look at live data you can sometimes see something that stands out. I cant guess at what you may have done to cause this issue based on what you said you did before and after. The only think I can think of is that perhaps you unhooked something (vaccum hose, electrical connector, etc) accidentally when your r/r'd the EGR valve.
I was thinking I must have unhooked something too, but I looked pretty hard in the area surrounding where I was messing around and couldn't find a single thing -- no unhooked hoses/connectors, nothing looked cracked (plus I did a smoke test in the area and couldn't find any sign of vacuum leak, plus no hissing noises. I was really pulling for this, and believe me every time I go in to try something I spend another 20 minutes just carefully looking around to see if something is unplugged.
No EGR valve is supposed to have vacuum to it at idle, engine dies as that is a vacuum leak. If the solenoid is providing vacuum at warm idle the DPFE is dead. Or vacuum lines reversed on it. You say you changed the solenoid or that leaking too.
Oh yeah, I just tried putting vacuum to it at idle to make sure the EGR valve was opening correctly (it better, it's new). Also, the solenoid is brand new. As far as the DPFE goes, is there a way to test that? It seems like the solenoid is providing a tiny bit of vacuum at idle when warm, but I tried a test I found on a different forum and the result suggested the DPFE was fine (test being: disconnect the vacuum line from the EGR valve and plug it, and if things improve then the DPFE is faulty; nothing got better, so I figured the DPFE was fine).

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
If you removed and plugged the vacuum line to EGR valve and the engine still kept messing up at warm idle the valve is bad, new or not or your install is leaking at gasket or tube seal. EGR valve itself does not have to plug but the vacuum line does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts