Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car seems to have alot of vibration when warming up after sitting in the cold. is that normal for a high mileage 4 banger. Sorry I never owned on I always had v8s

·
Registered
485 Posts
does it vibrate when u drive too, because if so u might have a motor mount issue, my 03 started as just vibrating when warming up then turned into doing it all the time to the point i got a foot massage every time i went somewhere

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it vibrate when u drive too, because if so u might have a motor mount issue, my 03 started as just vibrating when warming up then turned into doing it all the time to the point i got a foot massage every time i went somewhere
No the vibration goes away when the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does it go away completely? My motor mount is going and mine seems to not vibrate as much when its warmed up and going down the road. Does it vibrate when you're going up and down hills? (When the weight of the engine comes down after going up a hill then down a hill mine will vibrate.) Also do you feel it and hear it across your dash? These are all signs of motor mount wear. I'm not saying 100% that is your problem but motor mount issues with these cars is extremely common.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it go away completely? My motor mount is going and mine seems to not vibrate as much when its warmed up and going down the road. Does it vibrate when you're going up and down hills? (When the weight of the engine comes down after going up a hill then down a hill mine will vibrate.) Also do you feel it and hear it across your dash? These are all signs of motor mount wear. I'm not saying 100% that is your problem but motor mount issues with these cars is extremely common.
I think you are right because I feel the vibration across the dash. I was afraid of this issue. Is it a hard job to do. I know a mechanic friend that will do the work for cheap but anyone know if its a major ordeal. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
28 Posts
No the vibration goes away when the car is warmed up.
I just picked up a 2000 Focus wagon and had the exact same issue. When the car was cold it would vibrate and shake and run like a cold diesel truck. I stood back and looked at it and thought (I hope its just a motor mount). Once the car warmed up it was fine. Well, I called up the Autozone store and they gave me a price of $47.00 for a new mount. Luckily I called them while I was in the junkyard looking at a motor mount that "looked" very good. Got it for $13.00. Well mine looked good too, but I figured I would give it a shot. I took my old one off and could flex it by hand on the bracket. The one I got from the junkyard, I could not flex by hand. So far so good. I toss it on, fire up the car (while cold), and it runs like new ! ! ! ! No shaking or vibrating..............I was Geeked ! I have a SPI single overhead cam Split Port motor. You will have to remove the coolant tank (dont disconnect the lines, just lay it to the side). Support the motor with a floor jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan. Jack it up just until the car starts to rise, then stop. Thats enough to hold the motor. Take the two nuts on the studs off and then take off the three bracket bolts. It will take some muscle. You will have to maneuver the bracket out pass the power steering lines. You will be happy you did it. Takes about 1/2hr from start to finish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my 05 focus does the same thing when you start it everything shakes the dash everything,sitting at a stop light the side mirrors shake and also am getting the foot massege when i am driving i hope mine is just a motor mount also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine did this, but not during warm up or anything ,it was constant with a loud thundering roar on the inside too. My Engine mount was totally cracked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts