Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, pretty much a newbie at car maintenance though I do change my own oil at least : )

I'm having a pretty bad oil leak with my Focus SE. It leaks only when running. I've already checked the valve cover gasket, that looks OK to me. The leak must be coming from somewhere below that... It looks like the leak is coming from the passenger side - rear(ish) area of the engine though it is hard to tell. There's a lot of gunk under the engine : )

I know this isn't much to go on, but I'd like to repair this myself if possible. I can attach pictures if it will help.

ETA: 2001 Focus SE with zetec engine. 103000+ miles. I have not changed the oil recently.

I managed to pull the timing belt cover (and cracked it in the process) but my flashlight died before I could see what was going on. There was a fair amount of wet oil on the bottom right of the cover that I got on my finger... maybe that's a sign?

ETA2: Never replaced the PCV valve (that I know of), or the hose. Seriously, how the heck do I even find out where the leak is coming from?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Passenger side, rear(ish) area is where the oil filter and low oil pressure sender is. Both can leak if not screwed on properly. What size is the leak? Puddles under the car?
The usual procedure when trying to isolate an oil leak is to clean the "gunk" and then monitor the area for signs of fresh oil.
Don't mess with the timing belt; on the Zetec, it's belt driven, not an oil lubricated chain if that's what you're theorizing.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Passenger side, rear(ish) area is where the oil filter and low oil pressure sender is. Both can leak if not screwed on properly. What size is the leak? Puddles under the car?
The usual procedure when trying to isolate an oil leak is to clean the "gunk" and then monitor the area for signs of fresh oil.
Don't mess with the timing belt; on the Zetec, it's belt driven, not an oil lubricated chain if that's what you're theorizing.
Yes, puddles under the car... when it's really going, it's a couple of drops a second.

I haven't changed the oil filter in a while either (last did that with my oil) so I'd be surprised if that came unscrewed. What's a low oil pressure sender? I just pulled the timing belt cover off so I could see what's going on underneath it.

Enough oil has leaked out of the thing that I'm getting a Low Oil light on. It's also falling on something hot (somewhere) because there's a little smoke when the car is running.

I have no ramps or jack stands so I'm thinking I might just take it in to a service center on Monday morning and let them sort it out.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
A low oil pressure sender is the sensor that measures your oil pressure and then triggers the Low Oil light when the oil pressure is dangerously low. On the Zetec block, it a fitting that's just slightly above and to the left of the oil filter.

It might be worth a look at the oil filter again to test for tightness. How long after you changed the oil did it start to leak? They can loosen off if not cinched down fully.
Large oil leaks should be relatively easy to trace. Of course, ramps would help so you could have a good peek at the filter and surrounding area. Pics (as best you can) ?

Also check the oil pan plug itself for tightness although if it's only leaking with the car running, it's coming from higher up than the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have no ramps or jack stands so I'm thinking I might just take it in to a service center on Monday morning and let them sort it out.
A couple of $.50/1.00 bricks/blocks from HomeDepot and a decent size curb might get you there. Just get the tires on the curb and block the rear tires with the bricks (....from the days when space and tools where at a minimum...lol)

Reactions: Daddy's.Ford.SES
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wimped out and took it to a service center. The oil filter had a blown O-ring seal and dumped all the oil after they filled it up. Most expensive oil change I've ever gotten. In my defense I did check the filter for tightness before taking it in, and it certainly felt screwed in tight...

There is still an issue with bad idling and low power on accelerating, but I'll get the computer codes read at an auto parts store and DIY this one. It's probably something simple like a hose or valve or whatever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had noting but trouble from our 2001 Focus w/ ztec engine.
I completed replacing the alternator, fuel pressure regulator, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioners and Crank shaft pulley.
Now a oil leak has developed above the oil filter. and it is not firing on #4 cylinder.
I suspected the oil leak was a faulty filter so I changed it and it still leaks. but only when the engine is running. It is a serious leak, I can not see what would be there to leak.
It is not coming out of the valve cover.

HELP
and thank you

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The low oil pressure sensor take off is above the oil filter, as noted above, and would be the likely cause of your leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I looked for it and I am sick of working on this thing, soon as one thing is fixed another part fails. Now I have a bad CV boot and the motor us making noise.
So tomorrow it is going to the garage.
Exhaust, oil leak and whatever brakes on the 3 mile trip to the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts