Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, if a thread related to this topic exists, I apologize, I didn't see any.

So, I have an 01 SE sedan and the transmission is starting to go, and I'm wondering if it's possible to swap for a 5 or 6 speed when I go to have it replaced. I know, technically, it's possible, but is it practical. Meaning, would it last day to day without bogging down like most mods. Any experienced mechanics/car-tinkerers have any opinions on what would need to be changed in the rest of the car? Thanks in advance.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
First off, if a thread related to this topic exists, I apologize, I didn't see any.

So, I have an 01 SE sedan and the transmission is starting to go, and I'm wondering if it's possible to swap for a 5 or 6 speed when I go to have it replaced. I know, technically, it's possible, but is it practical. Meaning, would it last day to day without bogging down like most mods. Any experienced mechanics/car-tinkerers have any opinions on what would need to be changed in the rest of the car? Thanks in advance.
Yea, you can switch out to a mtx75, pass on the getrag 6spd. What motor do you have? spi or zetec?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SPI, and I thought the mtx75 was manual? I have an auto.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'd have to swap complete from a newer car model that had an engine trans. combination that includes an automatic with more speeds.

Only thing you could save is the body shell, and that would need modification.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts