Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2001 Focus. It's a manual and recently I was driving it and it didn't seem like it wanted to go, and then I stopped the car and when I tried driving it, I could shift into the gear, but it wouldn't.

Please help me figure out what's wrong so we can get it fixed :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I stopped the car and when I tried driving it, I could shift into the gear, but it wouldn't.
Wouldn't What?

Could you check the rest of the post for accuracy before we give you the wrong answer?

Couple possibilities at least depending on your response.

Tx

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just for giggles let the rpm go up to 5k max and see if it moves. Try first and second gear from a stop and tell us what it does.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't What?

Could you check the rest of the post for accuracy before we give you the wrong answer?

Couple possibilities at least depending on your response.

Tx
Oh man, lol. I'm so sorry!

I could shift it into gear, I tried every gear but it just wouldn't go. I tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and and Reverse but it wouldn't move.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Give NotReal's suggestion a try, just to confirm our guesses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okie dokie, will do. What should I expect it to do? And what does that mean. I won't be able to try that until tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I'm betting it'll start to move at about 4k rpm. If so then you need to buy a clutch kit. And good luck.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yah, that's our guess.

"didn't want to go" while in gear sounds like a slippling clutch, and not wanting to get going at all after that sounds totally shot.

They usually start slipping in a higher gear first, once they start slipping in all gears it's really shot & you won't get much further.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Classic symptoms of a clutch that's toast. Most mechanics in my area charge around $600 for a clutch job. Any strange smells? Burning clutch has one of the most distinctive smells and let me tell you, its not a pretty smell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts