Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have an 01 focus wagon (DOHC Zetech) and I am at a possible crossroads. Its got 194k on it and needs a ton of maintenance work done: shocks, timing belt (water pump should be thrown in here I suppose), as well as needing a new power steering pump at some point in the near future. Since all of that work would add up to be worth more than the car at this point, is it still a good investment? The car seems to run fine no other engine or trans problems. Thanks for your advice..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timing belt

I got the car at around 70,000mi and I'm not sure it was done before, but I have not had it done in the last 120,000....

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
There is no way it needs two and a half grand in maintenance if you do the work yourself. A well maintained Focus could give you another 100k.

The question then is are you bored enough with the car to replace it at 5 grand or much more?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
A few points:
1) Any potential buyer for your car would expect that maintenance work done. If it obviously hasn't been done, expect to get beaten up on your asking price.
2) The cost of all that work - which really isn't that much for a car with that mileage - will still be far less than the alternative of buying another used vehicle or a new vehicle.
3) If you get the work done and keep the car, you can expect it to keep going quite a while longer. The Zetec engine is pretty robust when given the proper maintenance; several people on here have higher mileages than you.
My $0.02.

Edit: benkap beat me to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not afraid of doing car work, but the timing belt is more than I've ever done myself. Anyone have experience with this model engine?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Whats wrong with the pump? Replace the fluid and see if it makes it quiet again. Timing belt and water pump is about 250$ from one of our vendors, all Ford original parts. Shocks? meh, do you really need it?

Lets hear what symptoms your car is having and we'll tell you whats up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the accessory belt tensioner blew-up on me and when they were replacing it and the belt they said that the power steering pump pulley was loose and not long for the world. The rear tires are wearing really fast and was told by another mechanic that the shocks should be replaced "before the end of the summer" that was the summer of 2010 so I assume they are needing some work at this point. Also, there's a kind of clicky side to side sound/feeling that reading about sounds like I need some sway bar end links.

·
Registered
505 Posts
All 4 of my shocks are blown and the car still drives. Have the car aligned if your tires are wearing quickly in the rear. Im serious, you dont need new shocks. Is the ps pump making noises? DO replace the water pump when you do the timing belt. The timing belt is usually done at around 120 000 miles, although it can go for a while and still work, as is your case.

The clicky noise, is it when going over bumps or when you are steering in a parking spot?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ps pump is not making noise as far as I can tell. The clicky noise comes with road bumps. I guess I should also add that the car rattles a lot when the ac is on. Though I haven't tried to find the culpret on that yet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Look at this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198819
I followed this and was done in less than 2 hrs. Cost was about $125. Timing belt does not need to come off a Zetec when doing the water pump, so save that til you actually need it.
Rear shocks are $70 and 2 bolts per side, all you need is a jack and an hour at the most.
Power steering pump, never done one, but should be simply unbolting the old one and install new one. $65 at AZ.
It's just a matter of what your time is worth. A couple hundred dollars in parts and should be good as new(kinda).
Different story if a shop is doing all the repars.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Look at this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198819
I followed this and was done in less than 2 hrs. Cost was about $125. Timing belt does not need to come off a Zetec when doing the water pump, so save that til you actually need it.
Rear shocks are $70 and 2 bolts per side, all you need is a jack and an hour at the most.
Power steering pump, never done one, but should be simply unbolting the old one and install new one. $65 at AZ.
It's just a matter of what your time is worth. A couple hundred dollars in parts and should be good as new(kinda).
Different story if a shop is doing all the repars.
Check his mileage. He needs a timing belt.

The timing belt is not as complicated on the Zetec because of the Pin and Bar set up. You just use a tool that lines up the cams, sets top dead center, put on the new belt, and put your car back together. Simple.

Water pump is good to change while you're in there because you have everything out of the way to pull it and they don't last forever.

Shocks, you can hit up a Car Quest or the like and grab a set of the El Cheapo specials. If you've been riding on blown shocks for a year, even crappy ones will be an improvement.

The power steering pump is not an incredibly difficult job, but you may even be able to just change the pulley if that is the only issue with it.

So, you'll be looking at a minimal expense, just a lot of labor.

Is the car worth $500 and 5-10 hours of work to you? If it isn't, like BC_ZX3 said, you're gonna get hosed on the sale value. If it is, then you could have a car that can run for another 100k+.

There is a third option where you take the car to a lot, trade it in, get niggled down to nothing on it, spend way too much on a new car that loses half of its value as soon as you drive off the lot, let them make the repairs and sell the car for four grand.

Option four would be spend the money and time to fix the car, sell it yourself for $3000, and use that as a down payment on another ride.

It all depends on if you are over the Focus and want a new car payment.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Benkap: I didn't say he didn't need the timing belt replaced, only that when replacing the water pump, the timing belt does not need to come off (like the SPI motor).
I gave the OP a link to replace the timing belt with no need for special tools, and it works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I'm convinced. I should replace all of the problem stuff myself saving probably 5-7 hundred in labor... I should start with the timing belt I suppose since if I don't fix that and then it breaks I'm screwed. Just a few questions though, is this an interference engine I've heard different stories from a lot of different sources. Any difinative word?

image uploading

Also, is there a good kit someone can recommend? I'm trying to spend as little as possible while still buying a decent belt, tensioner and idler. Do I need to replace the motor mount while I'm at it?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Benkap: I didn't say he didn't need the timing belt replaced, only that when replacing the water pump, the timing belt does not need to come off (like the SPI motor).
I gave the OP a link to replace the timing belt with no need for special tools, and it works.
My bad, misunderstood you. I did my timing belt with a straight edge and a part of a tent pole. You don't really need the special tools, but if you are in doubt at all, better to get them.

Billy: So, if you are starting at the timing belt, I'd say hit up Rock Auto. They have cheap parts, quick delivery, and sponsor our site.

If you don't already have one, pick up a manual for the car, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Billy Barty: Your instrumentation ground for the engine is also broken. It's the wire broken off of the engine lifting ring in the photo. Fix that first.

BTW: Focus wagons hold their value much better than any other Focus.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Billy Barty: Your instrumentation ground for the engine is also broken. It's the wire broken off of the engine lifting ring in the photo. Fix that first.

BTW: Focus wagons hold their value much better than any other Focus.
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that yet.

Do I need to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt? You don't need to take the timing belt off to get at the water pump, so should I just do it anyway or wait.

Also, has anyone used this tutorial without the special tools and been successful?

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198819

Any way of making it easier would be great and not taking the valve cover off would definitely be easier...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Like I said earlier, I used the tutorial with success, as well as many others who posted their results. The WP can be replaced without disturbing the timing belt covers on the Zetec motor. Replacing it at this time is totally up to you.
The Zetec motor is noninterference(exept SVT).
From AdvanceAutoParts, I paid $125 for the Dayco belt and tensioner kit. If you purchase the pump with along with the other parts, it's about $160. The small pulley is not used in their kit.
Thaere may be cheaper, bought I trust the Dayco brand.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few relevant points -
First pivotal question: Does your engine burn oil - if oil consumption is high, your car may already be near the end of its economic life.
At 195 K, if you need shocks you also need front struts which perform the role of shocks for the front wheels. To change struts you will need a spring compressor, and you should certainly replace your strut bearings at the same time.
It would be a good idea to get all of your suspension checked by a good alignment shop to find what in addition to struts and shocks should be replaced.
You can do it all yourself but if you have the undercarriage rust typical of the east and midwest it may be a real bitch. Of course, if it's a real bitch, the cost to have a shop do the work will be correspondingly higher.
Total cost, using only your labor for R&R (removal and replacement) should be $500-$1000, depending on how much suspension needs to be replaced.
Rock Auto and Steve at Tousley Ford are both great parts sources.
The factory shop manual, usually available on ebay, would be very valuable.
If your oil consumption is OK, I'd go for it.
Good luck,
Monoblanco

·
Registered
438 Posts
As for struts, you may want to go the route of a complete unit. Monroe and a few others sell these. They will include spring, strut, bearing plate, and bushings. Just drop the old one out as a unit and install the new one. Then go get an alignment. Monroes have lifetime warranty. Not the greatest quality, but you will never have to pay for the shock or strut again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts