Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK , Just bought a 2001 Focus 4dr with the 2.0 SPI and an auto trans , Only gave $750 for it for my son as a work beater ,the issue is a drivetrain vibration at idle and while driving it seems like it is rubbing or resting on something , going over bumps and dips on country roads seems to make it come and go but it never really goes away , the mounts seem fine but maybe it is something else ??? Any ideas ????

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
First thing I would recommend is to get under the focus and feel everything. see if there is play in the tie rods, or ball joints. see if the half shafts are good or if there is a lot of play in them. Also the number of miles on the car and any known maintenance done in the past might also help...

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
before you said the mounts are fine, i was going to suggest them as these cars are known for them. they do still have a vibration if the mounts are good. kind of a characteristic

·
Registered
122 Posts
check the transmission mount located underneath the air box where the air filter goes. I had to replaced that one in mine.
Could also be the idle control valve which I just needed to clean really well, no needed to replace.
Good luck

·
Registered
438 Posts
First thing I would do is replace that pass side motor mount, Ford OEM. I have had to replace one on everyone of my three foci.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a jack under the trans and jacked up slightly with engine idling and it goes away , so I am guessing I will replace the trans mount under the air box

·
Registered
438 Posts
If it doesn't go away after the trans mount, get yourself the pass side mount.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trans mount helped a little , put the jack under oil pan on pass side and it went away completly so I got one for that side coming , all in all they are not too expensive thru oriellys about $75 for both of them so if thats all I have to do to it I can't complain , I think thats why the guy sold it so cheap !!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Consensus on this forum is that you should go OEM with the hydralic mount. The other two are ok if you use the Anchor mounts.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
On older cars, I recommend replacing all 3 mounts at the same time if the front mount is bad. When one mount goes bad, then it puts strain on the other 2 mounts. If you replace only one mount, then you end up putting more strain on the bad mounts.

Now, it has been the discovery of several FFs on this site that the aftermarket front engine mount made by Anchor (only choice I know of) is not reliable. It's a hydraulic mount, and the fluid leaks out of it. For this mount, we recommend the Motorcraft part, but we've had no excessive problems with the Anchor versions of the other 2 mounts that I know of. The best place to get those mounts is Rock Auto.com online. The price difference is ridiculous. You'll find the lower mount under Engine: Torque-Strut mount. You already have the transmission mount, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this site before. You can get all 3 mounts (Anchor) for less than the cost of the front engine mount from most parts stores. Once again, you're rolling the dice with an Anchor front engine mount, but if you don't mind returning it- then ok. There was one FF who got so tired of replacing the mount that he decided to drain his latest replacement, and then fill it with silicone instead- I have no idea how that worked out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Anchor mount was installed for 4 days before the top came off and the "Made in Thailand" mount failed. The inside was full of prexhisting rust with very little hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've bought 3 focus, and that's one of the first things I do to them is replace the pass motor mount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts