Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I looked around here and most of the threads I found said nothing about reverse slipping which is what my 2001 ZX3 auto just started doing today. Took my son to work and almost got stuck...lol.

172K and just had the tranny serviced a month ago. Goes forward just fine.

I'm hoping it's just a solinoid issue maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

[cheers]

Good news is I have plenty of backup Foci!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
First random guess is wear on the cover plate

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY. Car goes in next week to have the tstat and housing done. Tranny thing just popped up so having that looked at as well. Don't have the time to do it myself atm. Motor is very strong still so we plan on fixing it.

I've been driving the ZTS.[grinking]

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposedly flushed. That tranny has 172k on it so I figure it served it's purpose...lol. Car is worthy of a transplant.

Looking for a donor vehicle as I type.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yes trans is repairable but toast as an easy fix. Once it gets above 100-120 with no fluid change its best to let it go till it dies. And don't change driving habits or you'll kill it.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
The only way driving habit can possibly kill a trans is by trans being ready to die in next few minutes already, that is like one of the dumbest things I've heard...................sorry, but the reality of it.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The only way driving habit can possibly kill a trans is by trans being ready to die in next few minutes already, that is like one of the dumbest things I've heard...................sorry, but the reality of it.
Well if you reread the post you damn troll you might know wtf i'm talking about. and if not then keep it to yourself. Its an auto and i've destoyed my fair share.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Once it gets above 100-120 with no fluid change its best to let it go till it dies.
Nonsense, old wives tale.

Fresh fluid is any automatic transmission's friend.

Not a fan of solvent based, or reverse flow flushes though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you have any actual input on this situation? I'm sure someone of your genius has a theory on the problem this guy is having. Now, if you have a car with 180k miles that has been babied since new but not taken care of, and someone gets in it and beats on it, your going to run into problems. That's something that happens all the time. I think that is what he was getting at. I have seen people change tranny fluid after 100k miles without any problems. And then once changed, they slip like crazy. And I've also seen people change their fluid under the same circumstances and not have a problem. EDIT: didn't want to toot my own horn

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Nonsense, old wives tale.

Fresh fluid is any automatic transmission's friend.

Not a fan of solvent based, or reverse flow flushes though.
Well then ask your wife to tell you a story. I'm not talking about regular on schedule changes am I? Focused Family is a very smart guy and is already in the middle of fixing his little problem. And yes not everytime will it go bad, thats why I never put a percentage to any comments that I make. Use them or not but don't knock it cause you haven't seen it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wait a minute...haven't we already been through this conversation, just recently in fact?

I thought fresh fluid couldn't hurt, at any time. Just swapping 4 quarts of fluid and the filter that is. What does it actually do? Drain and add about 4 quarts to an 8 quart system, full of dirty transmission fluid. So in reality, your only cleaning up half the mess. Not that the filter ever needed to be there to collect the shavings anyway. That's what the magnet is for.

Now doing "flushes" of the sort, have been known to harm transmissions, or worsen a problem that was already there before.

I know I wouldn't want any type of machine pushing pressure through my whole tranny system. That's for sure.

To A Focused Family - If your looking to change the transmission soon anyways, drive it like is for now, or even try and throw some kind "quick fix" stuff in there. I've heard (and read) that Lucas has many, many great reviews about their Lucas Transmission Slip Fix stuff. Or, eer... take it for what it is.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wait a minute...haven't we already been through this conversation, just recently in fact?

I thought fresh fluid couldn't hurt, at any time. Just swapping 4 quarts of fluid and the filter that is. What does it actually do? Drain and add about 4 quarts to an 8 quart system, full of dirty transmission fluid. So in reality, your only cleaning up half the mess. Not that the filter ever needed to be there to collect the shavings anyway. That's what the magnet is for.

Now doing "flushes" of the sort, have been known to harm transmissions, or worsen a problem that was already there before.

I know I wouldn't want any type of machine pushing pressure through my whole tranny system. That's for sure.

To A Focused Family - If your looking to change the transmission soon anyways, drive it like is for now, or even try and throw some kind "quick fix" stuff in there. I've heard (and read) that Lucas has many, many great reviews about their Lucas Transmission Slip Fix stuff. Or, eer... take it for what it is.

On paper, yes, it shouldn't hurt anything. But in the real world anything can happen. I can't explain it, but I've seen transmissions fail RIGHT after a fluid change with no previous symptoms. I've also seen transmission do completely fine after. And the magnet only does so much. Also, what do you actually think slip fix will do? How do you think that will work? There's no way adding a thick oil to your transmission will add material.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just trying to defend a person on the forum who actually has a point. He is someone who has worked in the field and not someone who sits around on a forum and has "theories" about how something works "on paper".

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol I really do appreciate the comments and help guys. I'm still learning about Foci stuff too.

So it wasn't flushed it was just changed, but he used synthetic. Maybe that's my problem? I never abused the tranny and basically commute for 25 miles each way on the freeway each day.

I have every single service record on my lil white Foci since it's first oil change in 2001 and it looks like my recent tranny service was the 3rd time it's been changed.

I should have just left it alone lol. As soon as I can get it to my buddys shop we'll see what he can do I guess. We still plan on repairing it because it's going to become my 16 year olds car and the motor is still really strong.

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also like to add that when I bought the car a year ago it had a whiney tranny, but shifted fine. Figured I'd drive it till it died.

I have a bad feeling, as stated above, that the issue exposed itself after the flippin' fluid change.

I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see what happens...lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Also like to add that when I bought the car a year ago it had a whiney tranny, but shifted fine. Figured I'd drive it till it died.

I have a bad feeling, as stated above, that the issue exposed itself after the flippin' fluid change.

I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see what happens...lol.
Nah, I wasn't trying to make any arguments here. I was just reiterating what we had already talked about in another thread.

Some say it's an old myth, and others swear that new fluid can hurt the transmission more. If it's not to say that it's "hurting" the tranny more, but rather that whatever was left holding it together...well, I think you get it. The new fluid pretty much (higher viscosity) pulled it apart. It was just waiting to explode.

I've seen with my own eyes, Lucas stuff give a transmission a little bit of extra time before it goes out. Even above and beyond that. It helped a transmission stop slipping for a few years, before the engine blew up!

I would of suggested that if the transmission was shifting fine, and the fluid was clean...to leave it like that. Don't need to change until fluid starts going an orangeish-dark red color, and by that time, if the transmission is acting up, I would still be unsure, lmao.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nah, I wasn't trying to make any arguments here. I was just reiterating what we had already talked about in another thread.

Some say it's an old myth, and others swear that new fluid can hurt the transmission more. If it's not to say that it's "hurting" the tranny more, but rather that whatever was left holding it together...well, I think you get it. The new fluid pretty much (higher viscosity) pulled it apart. It was just waiting to explode.

I've seen with my own eyes, Lucas stuff give a transmission a little bit of extra time before it goes out. Even above and beyond that. It helped a transmission stop slipping for a few years, before the engine blew up!

I would of suggested that if the transmission was shifting fine, and the fluid was clean...to leave it like that. Don't need to change until fluid starts going an orangeish-dark red color, and by that time, if the transmission is acting up, I would still be unsure, lmao.

Lol I hear ya, I have no experience with slip fixes, that's why I was asking. But like I said, ANYTHING is possible when it comes to cars. This is just another reason why I despise automatic transmissions

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I find out what happened I'll post it. Should be some time next week. [wrenchin]
I kinda miss drivin' it. The ZTS drives completely different...lol.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts