Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain exactly what one needs to do to upgrade from 2001 Single CD Player to the 2003 Blaupunkt MP3 CD Player?

That is - I want to purchase and install a 2003 MP3 deck, and drop it into my 2001 ZX3.

I know the harness does not fit, but understand that all the correct wires are there - they just need to be reconfigured.

Anything I need to buy? Other than wire, etc.
Any features not supported correctly, such as speed sensing volume, etc.?

I assume someone has done this and written it up already, but I haven't been able to find anything with any detail - and yes I have looked at the FAQ and done a bunch of searching. If someone knows a link, pls reply or shoot it to me.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
all you have to do is go to walmart or a local parts shop and buy the adaptor kit. it comes with a face to eliminate the double din and then the wires you need to adapt to the new cd player. ill see if i can find you a link to a similar product

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
ummm are you sure "ech" dind't mean the stock 2003 blaupunkt mp3 cd player? since you specificaly said 2003 i'd asumme that's what you meant. and that cd palyer is the same size so you wouldn't need an adapter kit or anything other than the new wiring ahrness, not sure about that though, someone else wil have to help you with that one.

- Scott

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
well a friend of mine once got a blaupunkt cd player and it was single din so i assumed that was the same, didnt know the factory mp3 player for the foci was blaupunkt.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
yeah, blaupunkt makes the mp3 players for foci. but the wiring harness might be the same, not sure. in the FAQ there is a description and picture of the stock mp3 blaupunkt wiring harness. i'm not sure how you would want to go about switching it ot that though.

- Scott

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the blaupunkt cd/mp3 player with a couple of line out converters. It came with a harness that simply plugs and plays. It's similar if not identical to the one listed on the ebay link. The only other thing you'll need are the head unit removal tools. Look at Wal*Mart or a local car audio place might pull it for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Stock 2003 MP3 Player

Yes, I'm asking about the STOCK 2003 single CD MP3 Headunit, into a Stock 2001 ZX3, with the base audio package. Not any aftermarket head unit. No faceplate/bezel needed.

I know from looking at the pinouts that the harnesses are different. I guess it's possible that if I bought a new HU from the dealier that it would come with a conversion harness, but I'm planning on buying one from someone that has pulled the 2003 HU from their 2003 car.

From reading other postings, the 2003 focus equipted with the MP3 HU has a "VW" harness, and if you buy an aftermarket HU you need a conversion harness for a "VW". So that tells me that I need, in theory, a conversion harness that allows you to plug a "VW" or "Blaupunkt" HU into a 2001 Ford Focus. A kit that lets you put, for example, a Sony HU into the 2003 focus wouldn't work for me.

I'm comfortable enough creating my own harness, and have what I believe is the correct pinouts - but what I'm missing is info on acquiring the needed plugs.

The ebay item looks fairly promossing, I'll follow up on that. But what would really really help a lot is if I could find anyone who has succesfully done the same thing. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ebay item now looks a little off. AVC (automatic volume control) is a seperate wire, and the plugs don't look right - but to be fair I don't yet know for sure what the plugs should look like. Also since the in-car harness is different for the premium sound systems the claim to support all ford focus models seems improbable, good news is I do have a base model.

Have an email into the vendor....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The ebay harness is correct. The AVC control is optional and probably is not in the car's radio harness for the '01 anyway. The 2 plugs that go into the MP3 HU look like one single connector due to the angle of the picture.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i fell into the right thread..

anycase.. look for my thread about this exact problem.. I got it fixed. (search for my user id)

All cables are correct and can be connected, the blapunkt one has a VW connector out back..

the only thing i will tell you is that one ground isnt used, the other is.. but if you want full instructions, just tell me your email i will send you a file with all the info i got when i did this.

HOwever for me, my unit was DOA and i got a refund.. but the place where i did the install of the wiring was a ford authorized audio installer and they had a brand new piece in the back that they plugged in and that worked fine.. so the connections work..

tgg

·
Registered
74 Posts
yea ech, im planing on doing the same thing u are doing...putting a blaupunkt mp3 player into my 2001 focus...i got it off a guy who took it outta his 2003, and my boyfriend is pretty good with cars, and he said all i would need is that conversion harness cuz the harnesses arent the same, so im just waitin to get that, and my single disc cd, will be an mp3 player...lemme kno how ur install goes, im sure its a lot simpler then these ppl think...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts