Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt the engine in an 01 Focus LX I purchased a few weeks back. The repair manual I have says it takes 4 quarts of oil with a filter change. The general consensus I found searching this forum says the spi takes 4 and the other engines take 4.5qts. However, when I filled my fresh engine up with 4 quarts it didn't even hit the minimum oil mark on the dipstick! I've got 5 quarts in it now and it is still only half way between the min and full marks on the dipstick. I've put about 10 miles on the car since the engine rebuild and the oil level hasn't budged (I first fired it up 2 weeks ago). Looks like it will take 5.5 quarts to get it to the full mark? I've quadruple checked that the dipstick tube is in all the way. Either someone has put a different dipstick in this car, or I need to run 5.5 quarts. Anyone else run into this before?

Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think the manuals give you the cap when you do an oil & filter change. There is going to be some oil left in there that wont drain out during a normal change. It could be a half quart or so. My SPI takes close to 4.5 qts to fill when I do my change.
A dry engine would probably take more upon initial startup.
See what it is when you do your first oil change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts