Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Focus ZX3 with a manual transmission, 147,xxx miles that is having an acceleration problem.

When accelerating the car will jerk/buck until I get up to speed and let off the gas. There is hardly any jerking if I very, very, slowly accelerate. Once I am at the speed I want it only jerks while going uphill. The speedometer also spikes up when it jerks, and then drops back down to the actual speed. There is no jerking if I let off the gas, have the clutch disengaged, or at idle.

I bought the car used 3 years ago and knew when I got it that I would need to replace the clutch because it would slip a bit when going up hard inclines. In the last 2-3 weeks it started slipping/jerking almost anytime when accelerating. And then the check engine light came on. Figuring I had put off getting a new clutch long enough, spent last weekend putting in a new clutch and flywheel. When we tried to check the codes, the reader couldn't find any and the check engine light went off on it's own. The car is still jerking after putting in a new clutch, but not quite as bad as before.

I have inspected the sparkplugs, wires, ignition coil, mass air flow sensor and all look good. Had the car in neutral and was moving the throttle from under the hood and the engine was running smooth at any position.

I have found 2 other threads that sound like they might have the same issue, but there does not seem to be a definitive answer.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97132
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144977

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Check the voltage to the TPS. I'll have to recheck the voltage range tomorrow, but I think it needs to be like .2-.5 volts. Also, I'm not sure if this was the case for a car with a manual transmission, but there were some problems related to the throttle body, but they had TPS sensor codes. My car is an automatic, but it would throw codes for TPS. Replaced the TPS to find out that there is an internal issue within the throttle body.

You can also check the coil pack connector, PCV hoses and PCV tube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE - Mostly Fixed!

Ops, totally forgot to update this once I got it fixed!

I must have been testing my ignition coil wrong, because I bought a new one and that fixed it. Just about 2 months ago I replaced the PCV hose and elbow because I was sometimes stalling at stops and man did that make the car run smooth! Should have done that when I replaced the coil.

Now I have the problem of the car not starting, but that is for another thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts