Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having engine issues for the last little while now, and I'm fairly stumped as to what it could be. I have a couple ideas, but I don't just want to start replacing parts if I can help it.

I have a 2000 ZX3, with the Zetec. I also have a CAI.

So, it started a couple months ago, occasionally when idling the engine would stumble, running rough for about a second, shaking the car a bit, and then continuing normally. I didn't think much of it at the time. As time went on it began to happen more often. Now, it doesnt it almost constantly when at idle, running very rough and you can hear soft "pops" from the exhaust.

The second symptom which just started occurring within the last couple weeks, is a sudden lack of power, usually after slowing down from a higher speed, and then attempting to give it some gas to get going again. You can hear the engine drone when you put your foot down, but you don't go anywhere, you don't get any power. After 2-4 seconds of this the engine suddenly kicks in and you take off. (usually pretty fast as you've sunk you're foot down a bit trying to get it going)

Up until now, the engine hasn't been throwing any codes. Yesterday I suspected a dirty MAF sensor, so I removed it and gave it a cleaning (isopropyl alcohol and very gently with a q-tip). I put it back in, and it ran just as bad as before. On a hunch, I unplugged the MAF sensor while it was running, and it instantly returned to a normal idle.

At that time I was thinking it was a bad MAF sensor for sure, but I had to head to work. On the way there, my engine light FINALLY turned on. Upon returning from work, I plugged in my scan gauge and got 3 codes off of it:

P0113- Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Circuit High Input Indicates the sensor signal is greater than Self-Test maximum.

P0010- "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)

C0B08- Unknown. no amount of searching I did could seem to find anything remotely related.

Now, this morning I thought I would check it again. The P0113 was still there, but there were two new codes:

P1150- Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Adaptive Fuel Limit

C0A08- Still Unknown.

At this point, I'm a bit lost. I originally thought it was a vacuum leak, then possibly the MAF sensor. Because of all these codes, I'm thinking it could possibly be a faulty PCM.

Any thoughts?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
My first suggestion is to write down all the codes (you already did), then clear them. drive the car, and see which codes return. Unknown codes are the most annoying thing to see because there is never any information about the cause.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Sure it's not P0100 Mass Air Flow Circuit Malfunction? 'Cause P0010 is usually associated with VCT (Variable Cam Timing) systems and your car doesn't have one.

Also re: P0113 The IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is integrated into the MAF.

"I unplugged the MAF sensor while it was running, and it instantly returned to a normal idle." That might point to a MAF problem too.

Your C codes are weird; even chassis codes should follow the standard DTC format - letter and 4 numbers - and C codes generally deal with ABS, air suspension, and traction control systems, etc.

I'd try alex's suggestion and try pull some "clean" codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking the same thing, so before I left for work today I cleared the codes. No engine light on the drive up.

I'm at work now, hopefully I'll get something on the way home.

I read up about pulling the MAF, or almost any other sensor for that matter, and without input from a major sensor, it seems as if it reverts the engine to a "hard coded" mode that doesn't adjust the air fuel mixture. So, it might not mean the the MAF specifically is bad, it could be another sensor, or unmetered air from a vacuum line.

On that note, does anyone have, or know where I can get, a diagram of the vacuum lines on the focus so that I can check them over properly?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for those.

No more error codes on the way home, I think they may have been generated from me messing with the MAF sensor.

Oh, and something I had forgotten to mention: I had a look in my intake manifold and there was liquid at the bottom. (could see shiny surfaces) I put a paper towel on a hook down it, and it came back with what seemed to be oil on it.

So Focused, you're saying you have the same problem. Is it exactly the same (on and off rough idle, pops from the exhaust, lack of power when accelerating) or are only some of the symptoms the same? Are you getting any codes? Do you have oil in your intake as well?

I'm going to take out and clean the intake manifold tomorrow, as well as check all my vacuum lines. I'll post results.

Edit: Oh, also forgot to add: on the way home from work, both today and yesterday, it's been taking a little more to start. Just an extra second and a half before it starts. I'm really hoping I can fix it before it gets much worse.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
BC & Alex are giving GREAT suggestions - it DOES sound like a MAF issue since the temp sensor is integrated in it, and whenever the intake temp doesn't have good numbers the engine will run like the proverbial SHITS !!!

Temp. is a MAJOR adjustment to ALL parameters, and when that is wrong NOTHING works right...

Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my scan gauge plugged in on the drive home, intake temps seemed to be about 32°, which seems about right, with my CAI and considering ambient temp is about 30.

If I don't see any significant vacuum problems, or any improvement after cleaning the intake manifold I'm going to try buying a replacement MAF sensor. If that's not the issue, hopefully I can return it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the MAF is around $220, so I can't justify replacing that unless i'm sure it's the problem, which I'm not.

I put the stock airbox back in, unfortunately not really any improvement, and it's now held together with duct tape as 3 of the 4 screws are stripped/broken.

I got some throttle body cleaner and cleaned out the throttle body. It might be a bit of an improvement but I haven't really had a chance to drive it. Heading up to the cottage tomorrow so ill be able to tell for sure after that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just throwing this out there for those of you that know this engine better. The oil found in the intake would lead me to think PCV valve is bad, with the oil getting back to the air inlet. I know these are supposed to last for a really long time, but a 2000 ZX3 has to have some miles on it, and being in Canada it probably sees more of an extreme in temeperatures over the course of a year. I've heard these cars run really bad when they do have a bad PCV valve.[???:)]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds promising, and looks to be relatively inexpensive to change out. I'll definately look into it when I get back.

·
Registered
645 Posts
have you cleaned your throttle body? it could also be that. i had some similar problems. i used sea foam and it brought my car back to life

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news! when poking around to scout out what needed to be done to replace the PCV valve, I noticed that the PCV tubing was collapsed right where it connected to the intake manifold!
I've ordered it from the dealer, and they should have it in by Saturday. I also picked up a PCV valve which I'll replace at the same time since it was only $6.

Will post results when I get it done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, finally got the part from the dealer, they took almost a week to get it in. The PCV hose was definitely collapsed, and the PCV valve was fairly dirty, but I've now changed them both out, and the problem persists. It's actually gotten worse since I started noticing it, and the complete lack of power until WOT, and extremely rough idle make the car undrivable at this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm now wondering if another problem has cropped up just as I was fixing this one. it's now constantly idling rough, it almost sounds like one cylinder isn't firing. It also has a lack of power at any level of throttle.

Here
is a video I took of it just sitting at idle. Thoughts?

Also, as you can almost hear my brother say, the exhaust stinks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts