Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a failed charging system. Alternator light began coming on & going off for a few days before the car just died (nighttime). Battery will only charge to about 12.85V. Alternator's main red lead reads same as battery (which slowly drops as the car runs). Battery pos + terminal was corroded & I had to clean it off before continuity between post and cable appeared. There IS continuity between the alternator's red cable & the battery post now. However, the problem persists - no alternator output.

When I discovered the problem, I hurried off to the local Pick-n-Pull where I knew there were several Foci. I soon discovered that there is more than one alternator for my year period of Focus 2000-2004, I had Dual OverHead Cams (DOHC) & none of the alternators at the yard had both DOHC and an alternator present.

Are there any other models, besides models with DOHC, in which the alternator will be compatible with mine? Ford dealer says "no" but they're trying to sell me something.

Also, anyone got any ideas as to what else it could be? ...read a little about the alternator connector harness but not sure if there's a way to test it.

Thank you all for the ongoing dialog, I have found valuable information on this forum many times before. Thanks, again. Cheers

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat, might have the best luck for answers here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, Ford really did a job with this alternator... you would think there would be a natural limit to propietary interests in automotive manufacturing.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The Alts are different for the SPI, Zetec(DOHC), and Duratec.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
The mounting points change up on them and the alt stands are casted different. 6G alts are very similar other than that, many parts interchange, just not the whole thing at once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts