Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after pounding on the waterpump to no effect I pulled the pump housing since im resetting the timing belt anyway- a little more tweaking with a vice and finally got it. The block end and pumphousing connection points are pretty corroded. the gasket was just a circular sliver of metal-barely there. I am ordering a new one from Ford and wonder if there is anything tricky about installing the new gasket on these corroded openings. cheers and merriment[wave]

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Need to thoroughly scrub the corroded spot with wire brush to pull out as much of the corrosion as possible, it is porous and will leak. Then fill up the lows and voids with a good grade of silicone along with a new seal there. Do BOTH sides of gasket.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Suspecting a possible small leak, I've just bought one of those gaskets and simple thin gasket material, you can make one up in like five minutes using 1/32" thick bulk gasket material and use silicone on it to dupe the pretty factory ring of perfectly laid down silicone they put on the gasket. Kinda silly as they only put it on one side. One thing for sure, that part is definitely overpriced at $4, real world maybe $1 there. I'll be making my own from now on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts