Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Zetec sedan (175k miles) with an auto trans that seems to have an electrical issue.

At anything above idle, the engine seems to run fine. At idle, the engine sputters and stalls, but only when its warmed up. While driving, I notice the interior lights and headlights dimming and brightening, as if the voltage is fluctuating greatly. I'm thinking I might have a bad ground or maybe some bad battery cables that's restricting the current at low RPM's and staving the plugs of juice, causing the engine to stall.

What do you guys think? I'm I the only one to have this issue?

·
Godspeeding
2,008 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had. I adjusted the idle up on the throttle body. Seemed to help. I also replaced the pcv valve and the pcv manifold tube. Hasn't stalled in over a year.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Dimming and flickering lights at speed (not just idle) are indicative of a charging system problem - the voltage regulator, alternator, battery and associated wiring needs inspection or testing to isolate the problem.

Start by cleaning the battery post terminals and engine grounds. Check the wiring connector at the back of the alt for wiring breaks/loose wires. Then measure the voltage at the battery with the car running at idle. You should see 13.0 -14.5 V. Substantially more or less means there is a problem.

On a car with your mileage it could be as simple as a bad battery although a faulty voltage regulator (housed within the alt) is the more likely cause for the symptoms given.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BC_ZX3!

I replaced the alternator several years ago and the battery within the past year. I'll look at the car tomorrow morning and see what I come up with.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
DO NOT raise the idle with the TB screw that does nothing , the ECU controles the idle and there is nothing you can do about it unless you unhook the IACV and go off the screw alone

Find a scan tool (xcal) there is a lot of members in your state and im sure they will do a datalog for you and shoot it to me

Tom

·
Godspeeding
2,008 Posts
DO NOT raise the idle with the TB screw that does nothing , the ECU controles the idle and there is nothing you can do about it unless you unhook the IACV and go off the screw alone

Find a scan tool (xcal) there is a lot of members in your state and im sure they will do a datalog for you and shoot it to me

Tom
Wonder what it did for me then? [scratch] It resolved my issue [dunno]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts