Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here we go

as most of you know I purchased a 2000 Focus wagon with a (as the mechanic put it) blown Motor
I finally got the beast home and started poking at it and I have hit a few speedbumps and the last one is buggin me ( figuratively speaking roadbumps)

anyways got the car home yanked off the timing belt cover and discovered a belt thats probably the original ( has more cracks in it then my 15 year old driveway) enyways cranked it and the belt just jerked a little ( bad belt )

Starts parts list on what is going to be needed
Timing belt, Tools, Waterpump, idler, tensioner

on to step 2 jam a borascope down each spark plug hole (thought hey gunna check something while no plugs are in so I crank it absolutely NO resistance but starter not spinning fast ) Jam the boriscope down each spark plug hole hey not bad #1 dry, clean with no wall damage #2 dry, little dirty no wall damage #3 dry, but clean with no wall damage, #4 dry with a little carbon on the cylinder.. absolutely no damaged Valves (WOOT)

Adds to list
Spark plugs, Wires, Fuel filter, Starter

I then throw it all back together

heres the prob out of the blue the horn beeped twice the dash security light went solid then everything lost power... it came back but I can no longer crank when turning the key...

Key turned to on, dash does its sweeps but shows dash's on the odo (-)
key turned to start I hear a relay click and nothing else.. I stuff my hand into the fuse hole prodding the relays and found the relay clicking is a fat flat relay behind a metal shield...

I made sure the computer didn't forget the key by removing the pats chip and paniced the alarm trying to crank it.. I threw the pats back in and reset the car and just clicks

Basically what Im asking is where to start on fixing the cranking issue, I need the car to crank when I test the old starter for how much its drawing to the new one and basically get the car running

ADDED:
Oh yeah just messin around after I got the car to stop flipping out I found the following

- Corroded Battery Terminals, ends and wires ( Going to Custom make a new set )
- PCV hose is BADLY blistered it was leaning against the engine and its collapsed in 3 places
- Shotty TPS just like my old one (dunno if its bad but going to change it anyways to the newer style)

oh yeah where in the HECK is the Starter [scratch] looked for over an hour can't find it... I jacked it as high as I could and slid under as far as I felt safe to do ( Can't use ramps or stands due to a soft crappy asphalt driveway that sinks with a Pro mechanics jack just sitting on it plus its kind of hard to ramp the car with it not starting heheeh)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well found the prob and couldn't beleive it

next to the battery theres a cable with a connector thats attached to the loom somehow the clip was depressed and it basically slowly became disconnected and from the naked eye it looked fine ( took a fine tooth comb on this) I traced almost EVERY wire on the loom and it took 3 passes to notice the lever held down ( unlock) I pressed it together and the car started dinging and low an behold it cranks...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The zetec is not an interference motor, so when the belt breaks, no damage unless it were an SVT. So yeah, you are good.

And the starter is on the back of the motor I think. Glad you got it running.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhhh Nope.. it farts and has a hit(sputter) but the timing belt isn't moving :) Belts screwed

I have a lovely parts list I need to get this beast running and I swear just looking at the car from a distance makes the list grow bigger heheheh

as of right now the parts list on my engine is this

- PCV Tube ( Blistered and collapsed)
- Timing Belt (most likely lost a bunch of teeth or broke
- Timing tool kit
- Water Pump
- Timing Belt Idler
- Timing Belt Tensioner
- Updated TPS/Throttlebody
- Starter
- ATX Shifter ( mine's just screwed hehe no way to describe it)
- HVac Bezel
- 4 New Tires (need to fix a leak on the front passenger its leaking from the bead)
- Brakes all around
- Driver door mirror (cannot adjust something broke)
- Replace the missing antifreeze

going to add these missing options
- Fogs
- Power mirrors
- Power Windows

heheh I took pics of the car the interior looks trashed but thats how I clean cars I strip em and soak everything down specially when the previous owner was a dirty person... had to be a half dozen cans of pop sprayed all over the car and you can see pop spots all over the speaker grills ( Yuck )

thats alright I slammed my head on the bottom of the hood laughing so hard, I popped the battery cover and low and behold theres a AC Delco Battery down there (AC Delco = GM)

I just Pray I don;t set the damn Seat airbags off when I steam clean the seats/interior that Sh^^ scares the hell out of me Ive setoff an airbag before doing a steamclean on a car ( the water on the carpet with te wand I guess caused excessive static and popped it.. I know it was building static cuz I was getting static charges off everything I touched on the other car)

Heres the album for the pics
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/k3feral/Focus Wagon 2/

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Ive setoff an airbag before doing a steamclean on a car

1) Disconnect the battery before steam cleaning.

2) IF you have static problems, get a long stranded electrical wire. Strip about a foot of insulation off one end and wrap it around a metal part of the steam cleaner nozzle or hose fitting. Connect the other end to a good chassis ground. While not guaranteed (since it may be the steam motion in the air generating the static charge,), it should help reduce the static.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL I played it safe I stayed on the opposite side of the seat airbags ROTFl I got the Steamcleaning done after 9 hours x.x it almost killed me the floor carpet just REEKED o_O hehe I can say I still have a "HIGH" from the dozen or so stain removers, pretreaters, odor removers, carpet shampoo..

Dang before I dredded opening up the door to the stench of wet dog now I dred opening it up in case I get knocked out ROTFL dang thats some STRONG odor remover :( I want a new car smell not a cheap hooker perfume smell hahaha

if yer interested heres the mess

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/k3feral/Focus Wagon 2/Steam Clean day/

--- Added Yes I did a COMPLETE interior removal thats the only way I could of ever gotten the floor carpet clean

·
Registered
1 Posts
[clap]
hi great find! i am having same clicks no start problem, also when i turn key to on position the dash needles go crazy..
could you please post or email me a pic of the connector that you found loose? i cannot find it.. silly me i know.. its my first car and i cannot afford to pay mechanics to come and see my problem.
thanks a million!
carie [woot]

Well found the prob and couldn't beliEve it

next to the battery theres a cable with a connector thats attached to the loom somehow the clip was depressed and it basically slowly became disconnected and from the naked eye it looked fine ( took a fine tooth comb on this) I traced almost EVERY wire on the loom and it took 3 passes to notice the lever held down ( unlock) I pressed it together and the car started dinging and low an behold it cranks...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts