Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out which sensor is which on my 2000 focus wagon with the DOHC Zetec, with the Auto trans.

I went to Autozone to hook up the OBDll reader and they said I needed to replace the speed sensor on the trans, so today I went to the junkyard and pulled one off, or at-least I think I pulled the speed sensor off?

It was right near where the passenger axle goes into the diff. It also had one bolt holding it in, it was a 8MM bolt. And when I pulled the sensor out, I also noticed a O ring around it? Don't know if this description helps, so let me know if it doesn't, I'll take a pic.

EDIT: It would also be a big help if someone could show me a pic, or write a good description of where the other speed sensor is that controls when the torque converter locks up and everything?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
IIRC, the ATX box doesn't have a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or at least Ford doesn't call it that. It uses a TSS (turbine shaft speed) sensor in conjunction with a OSS (output shaft speed sensor). You could try searching the forum for those terms. I recall some posts by a_2000_se dealing with some OSS/TSS issues that caused running problems.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
converter lock up i think is done in 3rd and 4th only so the trans range sensor probably controls that.
and yes the speed sensor in the trans is on the passengers side of the differential housing

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, well I think I got the right OSS/TSS. But where is the trans range sensor? I know they say on top, but aren't there like 2-3 other sensors on top? How do I know which one is the range sensor.

I've only torn into the MTX75 in the ZX3 so far, really haven't done much with this ATX75 in the wagon.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what this says though, I would be getting a code for that specific sensor?

So would the OSS/TSS sensor cause the car to not go when pretty much at WOT? What is happening is, When I hit the gas hard from a rolling start(15MPH) the motor rev's up real high, and then goes no-where and acts like a slipping clutch.

It will also happen if I'm going 45-50 and I stomp the gas, the cars engine will rev high, but the trans isn't pushing the car forward, and again it will feel like a slipping clutch, but only for a second?

This problem has been getting at me for about a month now, the car is safe to drive, but I'm missing my full launch potential, and acceleration from a moderate speed. I haven't tested, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what speed I'm going, if I hit the gas real hard, it will barely go, and feel like something is slipping. The only other thing is, if I'm going up a good steep hill at like 40, I can make is down shift easy, and the car somewhat goes like it should.

This problem is really weird, or just the way I'm explaining it is, either way this is going to either get fixed, or driven till it breaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts