Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing the alternator in my 2000 zx3, and I'm kind of stuck... Hopefully somebody can advise me.

I removed everything needed to get to the alternator, then removed the two bolts holding the alternator. When I pried the alternator from the most obvious place (under the front mounting bolt area), I managed to free the front two mounting "ears", but the rear "ears" hardly moved. And since the top of the alternator is now contacting the underside of the intake manifold runner, I am reluctant to just keep on prying and hoping nothing bad happens.

So, for anybody who has done this before, where (and how) did you pry the alternator out of the bracket? Did you just do it from above, or did you also pry the rear out from below? Any other insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
We moved power steering and coolant tank out of way and took off passenger side engine mount then jacked engine up and pulled it forward to get alternated up and out. Had to wiggle it and the engine alot lol.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you just gotta keep on wiggling it and moving it, it took me like 45 minutes til i finally got my alternator out, taking it out is quite tricky, and putting it back is very simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand from other posts that it is a challenge to figure out how to maneuver the alternator to clear everything once it is free from its mounting points, but what I really am looking for is help on whether I should be prying the front or rear of the alternator in order to get the rear mounting "ears" free from the bracket. Also, has anyone had luck prying from below? I can't figure out whether I should be trying to push the alternator backwards or upwards (or a combination) in order to free it from the bracket. And where exactly did people pry on the alternator?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Try to get a large screwdriver in between the ear that is stuck and the block. You might have to go underneath. Or wedge something thin between the ear and bracket. There is a movable shim that is part of the alt. ear that fills the gap on the rear. Over time it is difficult to mash back into the alt ear. The alt goes straight back and slightly up. Try to press down away from the intake too. If you can't get it yet just pry hard and hope. There is a tit molded into the intake right in the wrong spot also. Saw it off if nothing is screwed into the hole. The lifting eye can be partially disassembled also. Look at the way its assembled and you'll see you can gain about an extra half inch there. If you have an automatic believe me you will need it. Remove the front motor mount and pry the engine as far forward as you can and put one of the big bolts behind the motormount and it will stay. all this gave me the extra half inch I needed. THANK YOU FORD.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Probably a little late, but if you tap on the loosened bolt, you will loosen the sliding shim in the bracket. This will make it easier to remove. Now you just have to figure out how to pull the alternator out the top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I got it done without too much further difficulty. I figured the front ears were too high so I knocked the inboard one back down and in to get it on the mounting bracket again, then knocked the alternator downward and started prying rearward. This eventually worked.

I removed the engine mount bracket bolts and pushed the engine forward, but didn't remove the engine lift bracket (I couldn't get the bolt to turn with an open-end wrench, and didn't feel like unhooking the components behind the bracket in order to get a socket on it).

One thing I did that I didn't see mentioned anywhere was to completely remove the battery connection terminal from the alternator after it was free from the bracket and before lifting it out. This made the profile a little smaller and gave more angles that might fit through the available space. I also pulled the fuel and fuel vapor lines (stainless steel) out of the clip that holds them to the firewall so I could get them to move around more easily.

All-in-all it was a pain, but not unmanageable.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile When I changed out my alternator it took me close to 3 hours to get it out

The design for that is dumb in my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts