Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Focus 2000, automatic. 67K miles. It starts fine, but stalls after running about 5 minutes. I can keep it going by pressing accelerator, but it dies as soon as I let up or put it into gear. This problem happened suddenly, with no warning, such as rough idle. Here's the unusual bit: just before it happened, I had changed out the ignition cylinder lock, which had jammed. Bought a new one and set the tumblers to my original key. In the process, I disconnected the battery's negative cable to prevent accidental air bag release and then re-attached. Do you think there's any electrical reason for this stalling? (I did re-set the fuel pump switch.) Thanks, anyone!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Resetting the battery shouldn't give you those issues. That sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve could be bad. THat happens. It's a little bit of a pain to replace. It's in back of your intake manifold. You can do a search on this as it's been an issue for people. The only reason i think this is cuz your car runs fine if you apply pressure on the accelerator...but only when you let off the car will die. THe valve isn't somethin that is expensive either and is something that you could do at home.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It sounds like you're stalling as soon as you enter closed loop mode- when the O2 sensors take over, and the engine is warmed up. I agree with the IAC sticking for now. The IAC will reset when the neg battery terminal is removed, and may have gotten stuck. As long as you didn't mess with any screws on the throttle body you should be fine. If someone advised you to turn screws like on a carburetor- then please advise so we can tell you how to repair that repair damage. Turning screws on the throttle linkage will just screw up the car and cause several idle/running issues. There is no idle adjustment screw on this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Captain. No, I didn't make any screw adjustments. I figured my first step would be to clean the IAC and see if that unsticks it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the darn thing. I've searched the internet for pix and descriptions, but can't find instructions for my 2.0 engine type. I assume its somewhere around the throttle head, but not sure what it looks like. If anyone has any pictures, I'd sure 'preciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts