Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. My in laws just gave my daughter a 2000 focus se. When taking off from a stop the car jerks, stutters, bucks, as if I were driving a stick with no clue as to how to drive it. When they got the car. It had a jasper and they swapped it with another focus due to this issue. The issue remains. It now has the same trans ford installed on 2000 focus. I am thinking the modulator is bad or out of adjustment? It's been forever since I messed with any trans issues. Just trying to get some ideas and figure out if it will be worth it to keep this car. It was free and this is her first car, however I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it. I still have to get it state inspected and that may cause issues as well depending on what they find that may need fixed before it passes. I just would rather not have to pay ford to look into this trans issue. Thanks for any help or advice!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved this to General Tech Chat so it can get some looks & responses.

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
More detail, you could easily be describing engine issues with no connection to trans at all.

No modulator, in fact nothing you can do but check fluid level and quality, the trans is controlled 100% by the computer.

Jerking could be the lower back trans mount or 'dogbone'.

'It had a jasper...'

Not a clue what that means.....................nor how you can have a 2000 Focus that 'now has' a trans for a 2000 Focus, like something was changed. You make no sense there whatever.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Jasper is a fairly large engine rebuilder, they are prob. doing transmissions now as well.

SOUNDS like the original trans. was swapped for a rebuilt, then swapped for a J/Y one later.

This does sound more like an engine operation problem (missing under load) than a trans. issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jasper is a fairly large engine rebuilder, they are prob. doing transmissions now as well.

SOUNDS like the original trans. was swapped for a rebuilt, then swapped for a J/Y one later.

This does sound more like an engine operation problem (missing under load) than a trans. issue.
Jasper does engines, transmissions, front/rear differentials, marine outdrives, probably things I'm forgetting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trans was swapped 2x. A jasper then back to ford or whatever trans they use. Not the original that came off car but a similar. No modulator, no adj. what is the cable running to the trans then? Looks like it can be adj. runs right from accel linkage like in the old days. Not much more info I can give. It does it Everytime from a stop. Studder jerk. After a few seconds I guess it gets enough speed and smooths out. I would have to drive it again to see what speed it smooths out out and how long it jerks and if that's the same Everytime.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to add I did try to put in first and shift t that way. It did the same thing so I put it back in drive and I will assume the tires locked up (chirped) then started rolling again.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Focus automatic except from info. gained here & in reference articles.

One comment doesn't add up to me & would need some research. You mentioned a cable from the accel. linkage to the trans.? The only cable I've seen mentioned is the shift cable from the shift lever. That needs adjustment to shift gears/engage park properly. Pointer on it at trans. end to line up when lever is in the right position IIRC.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There are two cables on the throttle body. One from the accelerator and the other from the cruise control module. The cruise control module is mounted behind the transmission and on the fire wall. Could that be what you're seeing - your car have cruise control?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Has to be, there is NO cable on a 4F27E except the one from shifter, and again, NO adjustment in trans to be done. You CAN adjust a band with a special longer bolt but Ford service work. No vacuum modulator, no kickdown linkage at all, all done with TPS.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
i dont think its the tans, 3 of them all crappy?

i had trans issues awhile ago, had it rebuilt, and still had some minor problems. know what it was that actually fixed it? the lower mount on it. try that. you can find one in decent shape at your local junk yard for like 5 buck plus 1 dollar entry fee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does have cruise that must be the cable I see. I'll have to ask the inlaws what all they did. They own a salvage yard and it has pieces from everywhere. Not sure why they kept on messing with it other than my daughter really wanted it. I do know the replaced all the mounts.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
hmm, well thats what i got XD GL there are plenty of FF guys who are experts on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good read. Thanks for the tip. I will check the connectors this weekend. You don't think the shift cable is out of adjustment?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Going from OLD memory of trans cable adj., there's a pointer that lines up when in the right position (park?) and the issue when out of adjustment is one of not going into the proper gear.

Certainly worth a check & search here for more info.. I'll post a link if I happen to find something useful with a quick look.

Found one that might help for cable adj. check, it appears "drive" is the position to check:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261812&highlight=Auto+Trans+Cable

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't think it's a cable issue. I was sitting in the car and moving the shifter from P to 1. Well from P to D it felt normal, down to 2 normal, go to 1 big clunk and eng/tran moving quite a bit. Sometimes going into 1 it didn't clunk, felt like it didn't even register. Does this trans start out in 2 gear when in drive? Only goes in 1 when manually shifted there? Just pulled owners manual up online and doesn't seem to be a trans check light? If there are codes I guess I need to take it somewhere. Read about a problem issue and it goes into limp home mode. Not sure if that is what happened. Engine light is on tho, does that also cover trans codes? Maybe it is the mounts after all....can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone on what's been done. Going to drop it at ford tomorrow and they can look at it and do the state insp. take it from there. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts