Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new user and new Focus owner here. I picked up a 2000 SE with the 2.0L SPI SOHC engine about 3 weeks ago. Everything went fine on the test drive, and then, within a couple of days of getting it home, I started having a problem with the engine surging. When I start the car, and whenever the car is in neutral (including between shifts, at stoplights, etc) the engine will race for maybe 5-6 seconds, then slowly fall back down to a normal idle. I can tell it's doing it when I'm in gear sometimes as well. Also, if I'm in neutral and blip the throttle, the revs hang for 5-6 seconds, just like when i star the car.

I pulled codes, and got P1506 Idle Air Control Over Speed Error, and P0171 System too lean, Bank 1. I know the idle control valves can sometimes be a problem on these cars, so I went ahead and replaced it, which did not solve the problem. I also cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor. I unplugged the TPS to see if that might be bad, and it was much worse, so I'm guessing that's ok. I've checked as best I can, both with my ears and eyes, and starting fluid for a vacuum leak, but didn't find anything. The only other thing I can think to add is, when the engine surges, the throttle plate is not opening. Well, I say that, but I can't visually verify, since the car won't run if the MAF isn't getting a good reading, so I can't disconnect the intake to actually watch the throttle plate, but I can tell you the throttle linkage on the outside of the throttle body where the throttle cable and cruise control cable attach doesn't move when it surges.

Can anyone out there help a noob out? Not only is it annoying, but rather embarrassing at stoplights and in parking lots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having similar issues.

I have a 1999 Ford Focus GHIA 1.8LT Petrol - Zetec engine (according to rocker cover -- don't know much about it to be honest)

It was a good runner for about 3 months, and then one day when coasting up towards the lights (foot on the clutch and brake) the engine decided to rev upto 4,000RPM it stayed there for about 5 seconds and then went down to the usual 800 RPM.

The next few days, nothing, now its doing it daily and getting really frustrating. I have found that by coming off the clutch and then back on stops it (in gear and in neutral) It also does the opposite occasionly now, when dipping the clutch and braking the RPM drops so low it stalls. I have an AC unit, but never have it on because it needs recharging, so it can't be that (i had a quick look on these forums and it seems common). When im idling (engine up to working temp) I can feel the engine vibrate as if its about to stall this is constant, doesn't matter if im on the brakes, got the lights on, fans blowing or anything (so that valve that gives abit more when your using things seems to be working) it just seems low

I had a mechanic plug in a code reader, and he accidentaly selected the 1.6LT engine, and it came up with codes for the TPS. When I pointed out it was a 1.8LT, and he changed over to it, no codes came up.

I know its not a true test, but I sprayed all the intake hoses after the MAF with WD40 and the RPM didn't increase suggesting that there isn't a leak.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there i have a 2000 1.6 petrol focus ghia.
When the car is in neutral it revs up to 3500rpm.
there is a spare pipe hole at the throttle body that is taking in air?
I went to a ford garauge and they could not tell me what is wrong?
on some of the other focus cars i.ve tried to compare it to there is a vacum pipe conected to the map sensor but my car has only 2 points on the map sensor.
I need help on this if any one could that would be great

THANKS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts