Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm new to this, so I apologize if this isn't the correct thread.

I bought a used 2000 SE this year. This is the second oil change since I've had it. It has around 92k miles. I was lazy and had my oil changed at wal mart yesterday. I noticed they used 5w-20 Castrol GTX instead of 5w-30. I noticed a slight knock in the engine, not very loud, just enough to notice. I may be paranoid, but I feel like the knock is louder since they changed the oil.

Could the lower weight oil cause it to be louder or am I crazy? Should I switch back to 5w-30 (that's what it recommends)? It also, had lost a half quart of oil after 4,000 miles.

Should I use 5w-30 and an additive, such as Lucas Oil, to slow or stop the leak and quiet the noise? Or could I simply use a heavier oil 10w-30, 5w-40?

It drives very well, it has been taken care of, I would just like to jump onto this before it grows.

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I expected they would use 5w-30 and didn't realize they hadn't until I got home and looked at the printout they gave me.

·
Super Moderator
9,564 Posts
That is why you need to specify as to what you want to go into your car if you are having someone else do the work for you. Either do that, or they will use what ever they get in large batches. And what they get in large batches is usually the most common oil for most vehicles. And upon buying that bulk amount, they get it at a discount as well. And that is how they make their money on cheap oil changes. You can also take it back to them and point out that the 5w-30 isn't what the manufacture recommends and suggest to them they need to use the right oil for your vehicle. They might just replace the oil out of courtesy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
5/20 in synthetic blend is the Ford standard they're moving to for all.

Even updated some charts to use it in prior ones that called for 5/30 originally from one posting I saw here a while ago.

But if your cap says 5/30, there isn't much excuse for a different oil to be used.

As Don mentioned, show them that & you'd likely get another change from them.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
People need to understand that 5W-20 is picked now for MILEAGE, not necessarily for longer engine life. It was developed to enhance CAFE performance of the cars.

You'll save maybe $7 a year in fuel @ 15K miles a year using it but in very hot climes I feel you save more in potential engine life using a final weight of 30 rather than 20. If 20 it needs to be 100% synthetic and the Ford stuff is a blend. When you have a blend you have no idea of how much is normal non-syn oil, another gimmick there.

Up north I'd stay with a 5W leading number. It gets too cold there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts