Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so as some of you know I own a 2000 se wagon, with the 2.0l DOHC Zetec. Well I finished rebuilding the motor from the connecting rods up about a month ago, and she has been driving good.

But my question is; when I'm traveling at about 50-60MPH and then mash on the gas a little, she revs up like it's going to start taking off, but then it doesn't, and you will hear the motor miss a beat and jerk.

It seems to me that it could be the torque converter in my ATX that is going bad, because if your traveling at like 30 MPH and hit the gas, it goes, but even then it feels like something is slipping, and she is not giving me her all?

So please help, the car needs a new top 02 sensor, but from what I understand, that would only effect idle? And the ODBll reader is also saying both left/right rear speed sensors are having problems, but I do not think they are related to this problem?

I have to go out again later today, I'll try to take a video of what I'm talking about.

Thanks FF.com members.

Djzx3

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Check you shift solenoids. It sounds exactly like how mine started going bad. She would hesitate when I gave her the beans at 50 to pass someone, and then it felt like it was struggling. Eventually it got to the point that it was jumping out of gear when I hit 50 and throwing codes. Solenoids A & B, about $60 from a dealership or $50 on Amazon.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually heard people talk about solenoids for the ATX being a problem, but where are they located?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You have to drop the trans pan. They are right there. Solenoid A is the one the White wire runs to, Solenoid B is the Purple one. You will need a 5/16 socket to take off the pan and the same socket to take the one bolt off the solenoids. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes, and most of that is getting out the trans fuild without drowning in it. Thank you for not putting in a drain plug, Ford.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dam, I was hopping it was changing fuse's/relays easy. Okay well got to do what I got to do, but what can you tell me about the filter in there? Is it easy to change? And it is right up front?

Thanks for the help man, rep point.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Filter is an easy change. If you've never dropped the trans pan, it may be glued on from the factory, and that SUCKS. I'd recommend getting the ATP filter kit from Rock Auto. $12 and it comes with a new gasket. The filter is right there for you to pull. Detach the wiring that runs to it and move the clip on wiring plug to the new filter, yank the old one, and slide the new one right on. Definitely pull and clean the magnet in your pan, too. I can promise it will be chock full of junk. If you can grab some, get lint free paper towels to clean the crap out of the bottom of your pan.

A pan drop and refill should be about 3-4 quarts of tranny fluid (Mercon V). If you want to do a full on flush, you can disconnect the trans cooler lin that runs from your tranny to the radiator and turn on the motor. The whole transmission holds about 7 quarts, so if you run 14 through, cut off the engine, drop the pan, and then refill with she should be sparkling clean. Just make sure you don't add too much at once or over fill it. Fill it until you see it full on the dip stick, turn the car on, shift through the gears starting at low all the way until you hit park, check the level again, and then take it around the block once or twice, check the level and add as needed.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
DO NOT OVERFILL YOUR TRANSMISSION

You will blow out seals and it will suck. A lot.

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very descriptive man. Thank you.[thumb]

·
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do^, but won't be for a few more days, at-least until I can get my other focus on the road.

But it does seem to be getting worse sometimes. Mainly when dealing with a small incline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts