Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after dropping the transaxle for a clutch replacement, I notice that the end of the input shaft is splined pretty much all the way to the end and there doesn't appear to really be a bearing in the end of the crankshaft. Bushing maybe... but it just seems weird that there is no finger on the end of the input shaft. Even if there is a bushing, there doesn't seem to be much of a surface at the end of the input shaft to really do anything. More like a bevel or chamfered edge. Is this right? Just want to make sure before I button it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pilot Bearing? Where is it?

I just replaced a clutch this summer. When I took it apart, I found they did not use a Pilot Bearing. The end of the shaft does not reach the crank. I bought my clutch kit from RockAuto and at the time I also ordered the Pilot bearing they listed. The plastic alignment tool that came with it did not fit the hole in the crank. It did fit the pilot bearing, so I inserted it in the crank and it made alignment easy for assembly. Tranny slide back on just fine. It's just the way the IB5 tranny's are. The Pilot bearing was less than $10 and did make the job easier even tho it is not needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts