Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about a 15 minute drive, my 2000 Focus began to overheat. After I pulled over and opened my hood, there was coolant all over the engine, coolant reservoir, etc. as well as it leaking onto the floor. It is difficult to pinpoint where the coolant is originating from. After some online research, I discovered that the thermostat housing is a common problem, however is there any other common problems I should consider before I attempt to check the thermostat?

I have the 2.0 Zetec engine with 131k miles. I haven't had any other problems with the car and it was running very well up until this happened.

I know I a sparse on details so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Welcome to FF.

Fill up with water and run engine again at idle until it starts leaking so that you can track it down. Yes, thermostat housing is common issue, but many other places to fail too. After repairs are made, it is a good time to do a flush and fill on antifreeze.

Also, if you wash the engine to get the coolant off that has sprayed all over, be sure to pull your spark plug wires off and dry out the area around the plugs or the engine might have a bad miss.

·
Registered
360 Posts
pull the stat housing and check it for cracking plastic where the gasket is. If it's not leaking then nothing lost. It's easy to remove to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts