Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bizzare issue with my 2000 ZX3 car. The turn signals/hazard lights/brake lights would fail. Now let me explain how this does it though because like I said, it's weird.

I would be driving and the lights would all function, then all of a sudden, when I use the turn signal, nothing, no blinking, no sound in the dashboard, I look outside and no signals work. What's worse is that when this happens, the brake lights don't work too! When I press on the brakes, the lights don't glow red.

Worried, I drove slowly and used hand signals after a few minutes of driving everything is BACK to NORMAL! All the turn signals are working again, hazards working again, and brake lights glowing again when the brakes are presses. So I know for sure that the bulbs are all working.

We checked the fuses and all fuses are all fine, none are blown. So I'm out of ideas. What could be wrong with this. It's so weird that it fails as a whole and it does it randomly and it "fixes" itself back to normal after some time. Some thing must be shorting out somewhere. I heard somewhere that the turn signals, brake lights and hazard signals are all connected to the hazard switch. Could that have something to do with it?

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time everyone.

NOTE: When I said that the turn signals fail, I mean the turn signals both front and back (all directions)

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Search the site for the hatch wiring problem. When you open the hatch, look up at the top of the hatch and you'll see a rubber connector. Inside that connector is all the wiring that goes to the rear. The wires rub and wear off the insulation causing shorts that might be preventing your brake lights from working. That's usually a grounding problem. It's something I'm going to have to attack in the wagon one day. IMO, you can never have too many grounds, but Ford wires that one ground to all the lights in the rear, and from what I understand it only connects to the chassis in the left rear quarter just before the harness goes up to the brake light. If you can identify the ground wire on the other side of the vehicle and ground it to the chassis there- that should give you some of the lights back.

Believe it or not, the license plate lights were a source of issues for me. Those shorted and blew the fuse for my tail lights. They tend to gather water in there, and the connections were terribly corroded when I made that repair 3 years ago. I'm going to have to get back into it soon and write how I supplemented the grounding.

That's my guess, you're going to have to figure out what your issue is exactly. You might have a broken hot or two. Then again, I've heard that a bad hazard switch will cause the turns not to work, but that shouldn't effect the brake lights. The only thing I can think of that is going to cut out everything back there is grounding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts