Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Ford Focus is stalling while driving. It mostly does it when it is downshifting but I don't think that matters. I took it to a mechanic and he told me it was the water pump. I did some research and I can't find any information saying that it could cause it. This mechanic is pretty lefit IMO, I took it there about a month ago for a problem I was having with the car and he fixed it in 2 hours when another mechanic couldn't figure it out.

My question is, is he right? Can a water pump cause the car to die/stall while driving?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
My question is, is he right? Can a water pump cause the car to die/stall while driving?
Doubt it. Unless the pump was seized so badly you'd hear/feel/smell it.

For stumbling/rough idling/stalling issues when coming to a stop, check for a vacuum leak after the MAF. Pay particular attention to the PCV hose. If it simply cuts out intermittently while cruising, you usually look for an electrical problem.
So, how does it stall and what do you mean by "while driving"?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 on the above, with the addition of possible IAC (idle air control) issues....

If the bearings are going on the pump, there would PROBABLY be some leakage as well, if it's bad enough to put an extra load on the engine that would cause it to stall between shifts ( when there's no OTHER load on the engine).

Get back to us with more info. - the guy might be right! - we just can't guess for sure without more diagnostic info..

Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

About the stalling issue, I cannot really pinpoint where exactly it is happening. It is definitely happening when I'm driving. It's happened a couple times when I was making a turn and when the car is downshifting. The temperature gauge seems fine, never goes pass half way. I've done a lot of work on the car and these are the things that I've replaced since I've had the car.

Alternator
Battery
PVC Value and connector (broke while trying to get to PVC value)
Fuel filter
Ignition Coils (I think one was bad, that is what the mechanic fixed when another mechanic couldn't)
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Mass Air Flow Sensor
Vacuum Harness
Spark plugs and wires

I think that is about it, it's really given me trouble since I've got it but I've learned a lot fixing all of it. (First car fixing myself, mostly)

I really hope this helps because I couldn't really use a non-stalling car. lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Lets see, AFAIK, your car doesn't HAVE a "fuel pressure regulator", maybe someone called another part by the wrong name....

And "vacuum harness" leaves me wondering exactly WHAT was really replaced there as well...

Otherwise it sounds like the "normal" list of issues that hadn't been addressed by the prev. owner, so you were playing "catch up" on some typical maint. and older vehicle wear items...

It SOUNDS like you have an automatic trans. version (specifying which tranny helps!).

The next question would be whether the car maintains a steady idle speed when shifted into gear at a stop. If so, the IAC is working properly, at least at idle RPM where problems with it USUALLY first surface....

There is a "sticky" on using the odo to check engine functions (including rpm) if your car DOESN'T have a tach for some reason... (American manufacturers are funny that way, automatics usually have one, and manuals where you really need it, like MY ZTS, didn't come with one...).

Let us know what the results of that check are, so we can guess further...

luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cars idle speed drops sometimes. But, I thought that was the transmission. It is slipping but I put some lucas in it and it helped a little. I was wondering what you all think about dealing with the transmission.

Yes, the transmission is automatic. I don't know what tranny it is, but how would I find out?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
It's a 4F27E auto. It was the only ATX fitted to your year. As sailor pointed out, the idle speed should not drop when a gear is selected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
?

It's a 4F27E auto. It was the only ATX fitted to your year. As sailor pointed out, the idle speed should not drop when a gear is selected.
Actually, I was talking about the RPM's dropping randomly. But, it doesn't happen when it stalls. The stall is every time I drive it it will stall. Usually after driving for 20 minutes.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Ok, so maybe a bit of clarification is required. A stall - in my books anyway - usually occurs at idle or very low speed. It's the inability of the engine to maintain a steady idle. So, for example, you come to a stop sign, brake, the car rpms drop below "normal" and the engine eventually sputters and dies.

If the engine is simply stopping when travelling at speed without warning - say, when you're cruising at a constant 30 mph going straight - then I'd call that "cutting out". Most of the time, depending on how abrupt it is, that's probably electrical. (A fuel issue would usually give some warning signs like engine hesitation or stuttering.)

Hope that helps. Which circumstance applies to you?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good Question BC - hope it clarifies things for the OP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so maybe a bit of clarification is required. A stall - in my books anyway - usually occurs at idle or very low speed. It's the inability of the engine to maintain a steady idle. So, for example, you come to a stop sign, brake, the car rpms drop below "normal" and the engine eventually sputters and dies.

If the engine is simply stopping when travelling at speed without warning - say, when you're cruising at a constant 30 mph going straight - then I'd call that "cutting out". Most of the time, depending on how abrupt it is, that's probably electrical. (A fuel issue would usually give some warning signs like engine hesitation or stuttering.)

Hope that helps. Which circumstance applies to you?
It stalls mostly when the car is coming to a stop. It's done it sometimes when I'm not giving it gas and turning. Shuts off and can't turn. (very dangerous) I can't figure it out. I'm thinking about getting a water pump tomorrow and putting it in. I looked at it today and it doesn't look too good.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
AHA!!!

More info ALWAYS helps!

There is a pressure sensor on the power steering pump that tells the computer when there is a higher load from the power steering so it can bump up the throttle setting to PREVENT stalling from the increased load...

IF that is disconnected or not functional, you'd likely stall the engine whenever there is NO throttle application and the steering is turned at low speeds.

To test, just let the car idle in the driveway - turn the steering all the way to one side and TRY to turn it PAST the stop - If it dies then, the wiring or sensor is at fault!

NOW we're getting closer to a REAL answer to your issue!

Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AHA!!!

More info ALWAYS helps!

There is a pressure sensor on the power steering pump that tells the computer when there is a higher load from the power steering so it can bump up the throttle setting to PREVENT stalling from the increased load...

IF that is disconnected or not functional, you'd likely stall the engine whenever there is NO throttle application and the steering is turned at low speeds.

To test, just let the car idle in the driveway - turn the steering all the way to one side and TRY to turn it PAST the stop - If it dies then, the wiring or sensor is at fault!

NOW we're getting closer to a REAL answer to your issue!

Luck!
Thank you for replying so quickly. I will try that tomorrow. What do you think about it being the water pump? This mechanic that looked at the problem told me it was the problem. I mean, he's probably one of the only honest mechanics in the WPB area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for replying so quickly. I will try that tomorrow. What do you think about it being the water pump? This mechanic that looked at the problem told me it was the problem. I mean, he's probably one of the only honest mechanics in the WPB area.
Actually, just went outside and try to make it stall by turning the wheel more than where it stops. It seems to be working, no stall...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a very similar problem with my 2000 ZTS "does not stall" that would mean it almost cuts off. This occurs like him when turning a corner and getting back in the gas it hesitates and acts like it didn't downshift. also when crusing around 30mph and you get back in gas it won't downshift from overdrive to pick up speed. didn't want to start new thread as this one is really similar. wish nytek would have continued.
thanks for any help.
usual has been done. complete tune-up with new coil pack, wires, and plugs already completed.
question...does the TPS have anything to do with the automatic transmission

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not in Three Years.

Your post is too short or I'd make it a separate thread.

To make it easier for folks to TRY to help, please post YOUR issue in a new thread.

The original issue's resolution wasn't reported (guessing the water pump issue was dragging down the engine at idle) and the one post a year later from someone else was a different issue. Can't guess which problem you actually have.

Welcome to the site, hope you can make it easier for us to lend a hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts