Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its my buddy's car. The starter kept clicking even when the key was out of the ignition. It melted the positive battery terminal. I removed the starter. It was bad so I replaced it. As soon as I put the negative battery terminal on the starter started clicking and turned on the car. Brand new starter and solenoid on it. I looked at the positive battery cable and don't see it crossing anywhere, but it could be. I've also read it could be the relay or ignition switch, but would they cause it with the key in the off position and the key not even in? I'm going to try and replace the whole positive battery cable from it running to the starter from the battery and to the alternator. Just wondering what you guys think?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
if some wires in the harness melted the insulation off, there could be a wire that has power at all times touching some others allowing the starting system to get power (that was the obvious part)

does your buddy have anything aftermarket installed such as a steering wheel interface for the radio? yknow, something electrically aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You're most likely wasting your time replacing the big wire from the starter to the battery. You're always wasting your time replacing things without testing.

You probably want to disconnect the little wires that go to the starter solenoid, we'll call them the START wires. Then use an electrical tester. Without the key turned to ON, you should have no power on those wires. I'd trace those back first. Those go back to the starter relay in the fuse box, then back to the ignition switch.

Before I started tracing anything, I'd limit the area I had to trace in. Get out the owner's manual. Find the starter relay in the fuse descriptions. Remove the starter relay. Now see what's happening. If you still have battery voltage on the START wires, then the problem is under the hood between the relay box and the starter. If you don't, then the problem is from the relay box to the ignition switch. At this point you can decide if you want to replace the relay- or test the relay to see if it's bad. If you have a digital multi-meter, then we can guide you on how to test it if you can't read the electrical schematic on the side of the relay. I think the starter relay is more simple than the common 5 pin 30a relay, but I can't remember- and my car might be different anyway. Just note that each pin will have a number printed near where it goes into the relay housing on the underside that corresponds to the points on the schematic.

The ignition switch is located under the dash on the steering column. You'll see a bunch of wiring connectors under there where everything electrical connects to the steering column. You can disconnect those connectors, and that would determine if the ignition switch was at fault or the wiring between the ignition switch and the relay box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts