Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all basically just seeking some helpful information on what I need to upgrade for some added weight in a 2000 ford focus se zetec motor (wagon)

I recenetly did a huge build 3 batts, 3krms (true power) 4 15's and literally took out my windshield and roof braces.. but I'm now building for a MUCH larger box with 6 15s and 5 batteries (400 lbls in batts) that will be mostly mounted in the very back of the car right over the rear wheels so much more weight then the last build..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9ujG41dy8

Any help on what I need to upgrade to support the added weight? I have not had much experience with suspension before so I'm unware what to change/upgrade.. car has newer but stock OEM shock absorbers and oem springs in rear. looking most likely for a full kit even though all the weight will be in the center/rear of the vehicle I'm guessing rear support alone will be a fail lol.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions much appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not much out there for wagons but I've seen air bag kits that say they increase the cargo carrying capacity by a fair amount. The bags install inside the springs and you run hose to somewhere on the car so you can adjust pressure in the bag to tune ride quality. It's old car tech but works pretty well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Air shocks would allow you to keep ride height closer to where you want it. Also way cheaper than airbag kits.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Saw air bags for the Focus at Summit racing.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Those would be good.

Brand name that's been around a long time, and clearance priced there!

Grab wagon specific pieces when you can, with the latest one here being '06's parts will become harder to find. Never were as many options for the Wagons as for other versions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So being a little newer to suspension I gotta ask a dumb question sorry but is it the coils (springs) or the absorbers that support the weight in the back of the car? Idk how I feel about "air" support instead of just getting the coils but like I said haven't had much experience with them so willing to try new stuff out. Still searching for most likely just a rear pair.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
The shocks and springs are separate in the rear of the focus (no one makes a proper coilover/strut design for the Focus either.) While its the springs that carry the weight, its the shocks that are responsible for dampening them. I'd assume carrying all that extra weight may lead to needing to replace the rear oem shocks sooner than later. I'm not sure what aftermarket shocks are available on the wagons but i would look to something a little more beefy than oem if you start to notice more than normal bouncing going over bumps.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
We keep suggesting the air bags because there have never been stiffer springs just for the rear offered, you'd have to spend for custom ones.

A set of drop springs for the Wagon would be nice, but you'd still need the bags to keep it level with the extra load out back.

BAT out of Florida had drop springs for Wagons still the last time lowering was mentioned, and IIRC there were a few other suggestions that came up in the last Wagon lowering thread. Separate subject from adding extra capacity in the rear. (Bags are nicer than air shocks IMHO, when avail.. You could use either if you find some that'll fit)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very well then it won't hurt to try em out and for the price it's really not bad. thanks all for the info can't wait to get this project on the road. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts