Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just puchased a 2000 ford fous se manual transmission with a sohc. my speedometer stops working in weird ways. when you go into reverse or first the locks kick on and everything is gravy. when the locks dont kick on, the speedometer doesn't work. i thought it was the infamous fuse 63. i changed it, the fuse wasnt blown but changed it anyways. worked fine. went to work the speedometer doesn't work. the car has 168,000 miles on it, but im a believer in it because the motor and tranny are strong. when the speedometer doesn't work it does sound weird as described in the research i did on the speed sensor. could this be the speed sensor, because all the other gauges work and my power lock key works when i lock my car, im just baffled. also, if is the speed sensor is it located on the tranny? anyone who has had similar issues will be so helpful because i live in Cleveland and i do not want a speeding ticket because we have stupid speed cameras hidden everywhere. thank you

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Welcome to FF

·
Registered
17,464 Posts
If speed sensor it should be affecting trans shifting if ATX, you don't say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a manual transmission. its acting really odd right now. now when it doesn't work, my digital odometer screen just shows lines. i cant clear it. then it snaps out of it, the odometer works and then the speedometer works. im baffled. im trying to zero in on the problem

·
Registered
602 Posts
A VSS failure will give these problems, door will not autolock, odo will show --- speedo will not work, the car will not run very good either, the ECU needs speed info . So chk the wiring/ connector on the VSS, but most likely it needs to be replaced, (on top of bellhousing)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
great, thank you. im very mechanically inclined but where is this bell housing? some vss are above the tranny, or under the hood. the location will be very very helpful and save me a ton of money

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
Do you have cruise control on the car? The cruise uses VSS, so if it will not engage, then possible that VSS is messed up. It is an easy check if you have cruise...just try to engage it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dont know if you have MTX-75 or IB-5 gearbox, anyway if you do a search here you will find.. On the IB-5 its on top if gearbox towards the clutch side kind of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts