Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 Ford Focus Engine issue UPDATE!!

Hey i am new to these forums , and i have a 2000 Ford Focus that is having a few issues

Issue 1) Timeing was off , Obvious solution get the timing back on , the timeing was off on the cams by a little bit . Engine STarts perfect, however

Issue 2) after the engine starts ever so perfect , and when it hits the idle speed , the engine goes into convilsions and then stalls , everytime.

perfect Fuel Pressure , passed compression test withj flying colors . new spark plugs , new wires , new fuel filter. No engine codes . this has me and 3 mechanics puzzled any ideas would be great. today is saturday for me maybe i will have some responses before monday morning so i can get the mechanic to have something to do. any questions ask me here i will be paying very close attention.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Could be your IAC (idle air control) valve on its way out...next time you start it, try pushing on the gas pedal just a bit and see if it stops it from stalling. It could also indicate that your timing is still off...do you have adjustable cam gears, or is it just the stock gears and they somehow got out of tune?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock Gears and they were just put back into timing on thursday , however i know that if you keep the revs up the engine won't stall . i figured that a sensor was going , or a vaccum hose , but what exactly does a IAC do?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I had that problem on my 2000 and changing the timing belt and re-TDCing the engine seemed to fix it

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Incognito27 said:
Stock Gears and they were just put back into timing on thursday , however i know that if you keep the revs up the engine won't stall . i figured that a sensor was going , or a vaccum hose , but what exactly does a IAC do?
The IAC controls airflow when the TB is closed. I had mine give out and unless I held the TB open somehow the engine would die unless it was in gear, its probably a good place to start.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will have a look at that.

Just to reinterate ...

If i was to drive the car now , anytime it hits idel speeds , say around 1000RPM , it has convulsions and stalls. and it doesn't matter where , stop sing, it stalls , red light it stalls , behind granma's Huge Boat of a car and she has to check for a kitten on the road , it stalls.

i also disconnected the battery to allow the computer to reset to see the new timing from being off timeing and thta did not work. i hope this IAC will do it , i have sunk alot of dollors chaseing this problem

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When my car was out of timing , the engine idled a little rough , but not outrages , it had very little power and acted funny . it stalled all of twice in 4 months , now that the timing is back on , it stalls does this still sound like the IACV ??

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
oh!! oh!!!
i had the same thing that happend to my engine, but my problem was a vacum hose. It's acually the hose that goes from the PCV valve, around the right side of the engine (under the coil and wires and it ends right under the TB (throttle body). I repleced mine and prblem fixed. Let me know if it helped.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
When my IACV went out, I taped a piece of popsicle stick between the TB arm and the metal piece it rests against when its closed to keep it open just a hair, and it idled at about 900 RPM. Give that a try, if it starts and stays running its almost certainly the IACV.

·
Registered
489 Posts
try your throttle position sensor. and be careful when you install it. i broke my new one in less than 2 minutes.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!!

Changes alot of small parts to find , that the changes never made sense

Tried another Ignition Coil Pack--- No change , car still stalls

Changed the Spark plug wires - no change

Changed the PVC valve - no Change

Check the IAC V - No change

Recheck the timing - No change

Check Vaccum Hoses - Found one that was collapsing on itself- but no real change

The Car occasionally Misfires but when we have a Scanner pluged in the Car PC does not even show it misfired.

the care currently Runs better than it did for no apparent reason. we are suspicious of the Computer that it is not reading the sensors nor giving out proper info to the spark and fuel delivery system and thats causeing it to not be 100% .

However finding a computer to test with is dam near impossible to find.

I live in Nova Scotia and i don't know anyone with a focus with the same engine and close to the same years

Anyone got any ideas??

·
Registered
609 Posts
try to get it to a Ford Dealer, I had idle concerns on my zx3, had to replace IAC, pcv hose and downoad a new calibration to the processor. But its fixed now!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done , Done , Done , and the new calibration is something , i wil have to check

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also having problems with a rough idle. A few weeks ago my car would start, sputter, then stall like you're saying yours does. The problem was actually a fuel injector. I replaced the injector, and the car doesnt stall any more. Still does shake a lot during idle though. If you find out what's causing this, be sure to repost!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Take a look at the MAF. I know that will wreak havoc with the idle. I don't know if that fits with everything else your saying, though. Maybe somebody else knows..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
use that scanner to check your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) at idle... You can check it with the throttle closed and 'key on engine off' to get the same approx reading. It should be less that 1 volt, but above .5 (rough numbers)

Now, while you still have the engine off, slowly depress the throttle smoothly all the way to the floor. the TPS voltage should slowly increase.

If the tps voltage was wrong at closed throttle, or if the voltage jumped or stayed frozen while depressing the throttle, you have a bad TPS

It's worth checking, since that is a common failure anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i already checked the MAF ,

As of recent since i got it back when i driving it , the engine light blinks every so often , i had it scanned and apparintly cylinder number 2 is misfireing , it happened again to me tonight.

i am going to get ford to hook their scanner up , at what cost god knows ,

on idle the engine is in fact rough but doesn't stall , seems like it will but doesn't and then when you step on the gas it kinda sputters then when the revs hit , its all good .

TPS i have to have checked , MAF already done , Injector is still a possibility but i hate to think what thats gonna cost me :(

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
wiggle the harness at the #2 injector... you said you already replaced the injectors, roght? maybe you just have a bad connector, or a break in the wire

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
naw never replaces the injectors , just tried a different Igniton Coil pack , still no change

1 - 20 of 23 Posts