Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this can't be normal, anyone have any ideas what this noise is? all cylinders are reading 190 psi of compression, otherwise i would have guessed blow-by.

here is the video:

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sounds like loss of vacuum to the PCV and the PCV bouncing rapidly.
The loss of vacuum is caused by you removing the oil fill cap and/or oil dipstick.

Does the car operate normal? (to the best of your knowledge)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car seems to drive ok, but it seems like there is excess vibration at idle. It was originally so bad the the whole care shook, but now that I have replaced the motor mounts it is still vibrating quite a bit, just not with the same amplitude since the mounts are holding it in place. the noises that are coming from the dipstick tube and valve cover are definitely not from the pcv valve. even with the pcv vacuum hose removed and clamped off it still makes the noise.

here is a little bit better video. better lighting and sound.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Seems odd to me that there's no oil vapors escaping out the fill hole. Hinda have to wonder if it has any oil in it?

Also it looks to be gunked up pretty good in there. If I where you, I'd dump a qt of ATF in the oil, run it for about 50 miles then change the oil. The ATF will clean the gunk out of the head and might just calm you noise some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is plenty of oil spattering out everywhere, just hard to see in the video. The only time i have used atf in the crankcase is when a car has been sitting for 5+ years and has stuck lifters, i would never do it to a customer car, it is just asking for trouble.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Customer car?
You mean to tell me you're pawning yourself off to someone as a mechanic and turning to the internet for help in making a proper diagnosis and subsequently profiting from our/their diagnosis?

Good luck with that.
I'm out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thats seems a little harsh. how many threads have you seen on the internet where people had to self diagnose problems with their cars to go tell the mechanic what is really wrong with it when the mechanic was stumped? Usually after they have paid thousands in un-needed repairs too. I'm just trying to help a customer get their car running right again, and exhausting every possible resource. And yes, professional mechanics do get stumped sometimes, no one person can know everything about every car. So if you don't want to help, thats fine, but it sounds more like ITG syndrome more than a legitimate reason not to help just because i'm going to charge them for the repair once it's diagnosed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You did a beautiful job of making a video of this problem. I am beginning to have a similar problem. It started when I found out that my oil dipstick tube was loose and came right out in my hand. The guy from O'Reilly's put it back in for me or I would have not been able to get home. Now I have to fix the oil dipstick tube. Maybe your sound is from some part falling in the oil dipstick tube hole when a similar thing happened. My car was sounding great until the oil dipstick tube came out. Now there is a slight noise to it that sounds a little like your problem here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts