Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someome can help me, my 2000 focus with the dualport motor makes a loud clunk or bang when turning left only. This is when turning sharp to the left. Car also does not seem to turn as sharp to the left as right. Noise is not present when turning right. Car has an automatic transmission and has 90K on it, and is in excelent condition and I had it checked out at a garate and they said not to worry about it. The noise is too loud not to worry about. The car does not wonder around on the road and handles great, no bad tire ware either on the font. There is a little rattle noise coming from the front when I hit a bump, but it is very slight and could be something small loose. Does anyone know what that noise is?

Thanks for the help.

Mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like your FRONT SHOCKS are BROKEN which is a common problem with those focuses and the dealership will repair that situation for FREE. its about a 1 Hour job. If you turn the corner and hear it constantly as a CLUNK.....little pause...CLUNK i would bring it to the dealer.

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Update: Supplement Announcement
Customer Satisfaction Program 03M02 - Supplement #2:

Certain 2000 - 2003 Model Year Focus Vehicles
Additional Coverage for Front Coil Springs

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 03M02 - Claims Update:
Related Damage Prior Approval dated June 11, 2003.

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 03M02 - Supplement #1:
Adjusted Labor Time dated May 16, 2003.

RE: Customer Satisfaction Program 03M02:
Certain 2000 Model Year Focus Vehicles
Additional Coverage for Front Coil Springs, dated May 2003.

PROGRAM TERMS

This program extends the coverage on the front coil springs to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the vehicle's warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This coverage will automatically transfer to subsequent owners. If a vehicle already has more than 150,000 miles, this coverage will last until May 31, 2005.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Certain 2000 through 2003 model year Focus vehicles built at Wayne Assembly Plant from March 5, 1999 through January 13, 2003 and Hermosillo Assembly Plant from May 21, 1999 through April 27, 2003.

REASON FOR THIS SUPPLEMENT

This bulletin is being re-issued to expand the model year coverage of Customer Satisfaction Program 03M02. Coverage within 03M02 is extended to certain 2000 through 2003 model year vehicles.

REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

In some of the affected vehicles, portions of the front coil springs may not have received adequate corrosion protection during the manufacturing process. Inadequate corrosion protection eventually may lead to a fracture of the spring. A spring fracture may result in suspension noise, possibly accompanied by sagging of one side of the vehicle. This is most likely to occur on vehicles operated for extended periods of time in high-corrosion areas of North America. Only a small percentage of the affected vehicles are expected to experience this concern.

SERVICE ACTION

If a front coil spring should fracture, the dealer technician will replace both front coil springs, check front wheel alignment and, if necessary, adjust toe angle at no charge to the owner of the vehicle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
oh my... i'll have to take mine in as well.
recently the right front suspension has been making a clunking noise when i'm turning to lock in parking lots.
does it every time if i'm stationary, and i turn the wheel from lock to lock a clunk,clunk,clunk noise comes from the right front. i was writing it off to a worn bushing, since it drives fine and i've never heard it at any sort of speed. (but i suppose it could just be getting drown out by the wind/engine noise)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fantastic.. along with power lock problems i just had my i also started to hear the noise when turning at low speeds.. im taking the car to the dealership tommorow just wanted to confirm what my uncle had told me about his gf's focus and the springs and my cousins
good deal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
awesome
i just ran into this problem and if thats what the noise is,at least i can rest knowing its a free fix

·
Registered
897 Posts
happened to me too...drivers side. I took out the strut assembly and put it back in. Re-tightened everything and now no more clunking. But hey if you can get it fixed for free then go for it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
wait,so this isnt a recall tho,right? I double checked the recalls section and didnt see it

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
it actually is... its not a safety recall its a voluntary recall by ford which means when they break they fix it

and clunking usually means a frame mount ( its the plate that attach's the spring assembly to the shock tower and allows it to rotate) when they start to go thats what you get a clunking ( its actually not a clunk what happens when you turn and the plate won;t rotate it puts pressure on the spring the spring expands fights back eventually causing the plate to move causing the audit able clunk.. its actually not that hard to change :) already did mine now I have to deal with the chattering balljoint yay

(Edit)
Ahh lemme revise the above

if you hear a clunk when turning the wheels while not moving its most likely the frame mount

if you hear it while turning at speeds theres 3 possibilities frame mount, Sway/torsion bar linkage, balljoint...

if your spring actually broke the car would 85% of the time be undriveable when the spring goes the wheel drops into the wheelwell and your unable to drive/move it and/or steer)
:) Mine actually broke and sounded like a gunshot.. sadly I was one of the few that hit something after the car veered :/ I hit a retaining wall going down a 2 way parking lot ramp

·
Registered
190 Posts
ouch,that cant be good-mine clunks when driving-is there a how to for fixing the frame mount?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts