Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Focus SE with AT trans. It worked fine last night, but today it won't start. The battery is good.

When I turn the key to start, the door chime is a constant chime, not a "ding-ding"

What doesn't work:

- instrument guages
- wipers/washer
- headlights
- power window power
- can not shift out of park

What works:

- power door locks
- trunk release
- parking lights
- dome light
- horn

Is it the ignition key switch? I read that another member on here had a similar issue with a ZX3.

·
Registered
116 Posts
either key or ground wire if u ask me but without being there just a shot in the dark. could try disconnecting battery and cleaning it.

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
door locks and interior light dont take much voltage even if battery was dead they would still work i would first try and jump start the car then at least you know battery is dead cuold be you left somthing on

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Use the owner's manual to check the fuse for the PCM. I would also clean and inspect the wiring near the battery terminals- especially the negative battery terminal. There should be one large black wire, and 2 small black wires that connect to that terminal.

I would bet it's the fuse more than the battery terminals. How did you test your battery? If you used a digital multi-meter to check voltage, then you should check voltage while you try to crank the engine. If you want to get the car out of park, then use the key to unlock it manually as directed in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nothing happened when I tried to start it. The battery has good voltage. It worked perfectly last night, but this morning it would not turn over at all, even with jumper cables hooked up.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Does the key not turn, or does it turn and nothing happens? Can you put the ignition into accessory? Is the car trying to crank to no avail?

More info!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
You keep saying the battery has good voltage. That still does not mean its any good. Even with a jump start, if the battery has a short, or a dead cell. It wont deliver enough amp`s to crank the engine. Put another battery in it. Also put the trans in neutral , make sure the neutral safety switch is good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The key turns, but the engine does not crank. When I used the emergency trans disconnect to shift it out of park, the chime was constant.

BTW, what are the two small wires coming off of the negative battery terminal used for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still nothing...

The battery load tested good. I replaced the ignition switch... still no progress. [:(!]

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
So back to basics:
Step 1 in the Ford manual: What's your PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) light doing during an attempted start?
It should operate like this: Ignition off, light blinks every three seconds or so; Ignition on, light goes solid then completely out after a few seconds.
During an attempted start, the light should not flash rapidly.
Is your PATS light doing the above?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the key in the "on" or the "start" position, the chime is a constant tone and the PATS light blinks every couple of seconds.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
So the PATS light never goes solid then out when the key is turned to "ON"? It just constantly blinks at the same speed as if no key were inserted? I would suggest then that your PATS system is preventing your car from starting.

Two possibilities come to mind: The PATS system isn't getting enough power for the transponder/receiver system to work.
The chip in the key isn't being recognised.
Do you have a spare key with a transponder i.e. another chip key? If so, try it.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Check fuse 8 in the engine compartment - ignition - 30A . It may be in a diff location in your car. Check your owner's manual. I doubt it's related but check it anyway.

Your PATS system is not behaving as it's supposed to. You need to remedy this before you proceed further.

The lock cylinder barrel in the car has a black ring that surrounds it. That is the PATS transmitter/receiver. When you turn on the ignition, it transmits a signal to the chip (transponder) in your key which "replies" with the proper code. Failure to receive this code means the car won't start.
There appears to be a problem in this communication system.
1) The transmitter/receiver isn't sending out a signal.
2) The transponder isn't responding
Given the behaviour you've described, it may be #1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll check the fuse tonight, after work. Is there any way to test the transmitter ring? Is it possible that the key needs to be reprogrammed?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
You can try the instrument cluster diagnostic test here to check out some transmitter ring functionality.
If you go further down the web page link you can see some diagnostic codes.

Any of the following codes would be a problem:
9600 PATS ignition key transponder signal is not received.
9601 PATS received incorrect key code from ignition key transponder
9602 PATS received invalid format of key code from transponder
9681 PATS transceiver signal is not received
9364 Ignition start circuit open
9356 Ignition run circuit open
9318 Battery voltage low

Edit: Check fuse 9 as well; the early Focus PATS system is wired differently than later years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts