Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

The other day I was cruising down the interstate doing about 65mph [driving]when my transmission warning lamp came on briefly (a few seconds) and the car lost some power. [dunno] I slowed down, the light went off and I proceeded home. I have driven it on a couple of short jaunts since without a problem, but obviously, I have one.

Is there anything that I can check myself that might have caused this? If not, should I take it in for a code read, or is this something that I should just go straight to a mechanic to look into?

Thanks in advance for your time.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That lamp isn't for the trans in a MTX. It's for a vacuum leak (EVAP leak).
Smoke test would tell you where the leak is coming from.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
That lamp isn't for the trans in a MTX. It's for a vacuum leak (EVAP leak).
Smoke test would tell you where the leak is coming from.
It's not related to EVAP.
On Zetec engined cars, it's a "multi-function warning light" indicating either an auto transaxle problem or a cooling problem. On an MTX, it's indicative of a cooling system problem and that the car may have entered "fail safe cooling mode" due to overheating.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Check the coolant level & watch the gauge to see if it tends toward overheat - don't know if anything showed on that when the light was worrying you.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
wrong thread

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. Checked the coolant level when I got back, and the gauge when it happened. Everything looked normal.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Can you scan the OBDII port for any possible codes or pending codes? Looking for something such as P1299.

P1299 - Cylinder Head Over Temperature Protection Active
Indicates an engine overheat condition was detected by the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor. An FMEM Strategy called Fail-safe Cooling was activated to cool the engine.
Causes:
Engine cooling system concerns
Low engine coolant level
Base engine concerns
Refer to Section 1, Powertrain Control Software , for more information on Fail-safe Cooling Strategy and cylinder head temperature sensor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
if your talking about the light with the little sprocket, I hate that light. just so you know, even the 4 biggest ford dealers in Kansas city couldn't give me a straight answer as to what that light is even suppose to signal. the last time my alternator went out one of five times (don't buy oreilly remans) my ignition system would shut down due to the voltage reg being bad. but being a manual it would instantly restart and run fine for a week again. It would all happen so fast it felt like I hit a 2x4 in the road. took me forever to find out it was the voltage reg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts