Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Have a 2000 LX SPI SOHC that i just got on the road. It is getting an avg 21 mpg city/highway. This is alot lower than what it should be getting. Manual says i should get 25 city and 30 highway. It has 131K miles on it, just had a ton of work done to it.

1. New Plugs (Motorcraft platinums)
2. New Fuel Filter
3. New spark plug wires
4. New Air Filter
5. New PCV Vale
6. new thermostat
7. coolant flush
8. new water pump
9. new timing belt
10. all new coolant hoses
11. New air hoses/breather hoses
12 New Serpentine Belt
13. New Brakes/Rotors/Drums/Calipers/Wheel Cylinders
14. New Tires
15. New o2 sensors (Ford OEM)

Not sure what i could be missing to help increase efficiency. Car runs great, sounds great, isnt dumping fuel, good acceleration, etc. Any suggestions that i might be able to try?

Thanks!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,110 Posts
You also may be having winter fuel blend coming in. That will drop it 2-3 MPG.

What was it getting before all this work was done? Plugs gapped correctly?

My SPI is an automatic and i get 31-33 mpg weekly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasnt on the road before all of that work. I picked it up and repaired all of that stuff in my driveway. So i didnt really drive it. That avg was based on the last couple tanks we put through it. Plugs are gapped correctly. I believe they are at .054 or .055 but that is off my memorry..

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,110 Posts
You should be getting at least 30 honestly.

Just buy it? How are you calculating mpg? Throwing any
Codes?

Sometimes you may just have to give it time. Put some additive in the fuel and other places to clean it out since it hadn't been running for a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no code being thrown. The car sounds fantastic. the engine sounds great, it has great acceleration, smooth, no issues. its not jerky or anything. like if i wasnt looking at mpg, i would never of guessed there would of been an issue.

We have run it for 3 tanks full of gas so far. We are getting a little over 200 miles on a tank. It is a 10 gallon gas tank.. We are dividing the miles driven on the current tank, by the number of gallons we put into the car. We are putting in anywhere from 9.1 gallons to 10 gallons.

I threw Lucas Fuel Treatment in on the second tank full. I was just wondering more or less if there is something i missed that i would need to check that could help improve fuel mileage.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,110 Posts
Yeah I don't know.

You should get some more Info from more knowledgable members sooner than later.

Since all that is running great I am out of ideas. You have done everything I could think of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Replace your ignition coil. OEM is 28 bucks from Rock Auto that was my problem too. Run 4 oz mystery marvel oil per tank of fuel.
I get 33-36

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Coil? How would that help out in MPG? Also i am thinking it might be the Idle Air Control Valve that is causing the poor mpg. the car stalled 1 time over the weekend. Then when it was cold out and we tried to start the car, it had a rather irregular idle.. but once it warmed up, it seemed to be running fine... Thoughts?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,110 Posts
Yeah could be the coil actually. Check for small hairline cracks in it.

IAC could be a cause as well.

Got a nice little gremlin on your hands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will pick up a coil then as well. I just picked up the IAC and will put that on tonight.. Can you guys think of anything else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey! Replaced the ignition coil and it did not change anything. So i did take the car home for the holiday. Did a 600 mile road trip and on the highway i got 35mpg.. but in city traffic i am getting 21-22mpg.. I am thinking this is actually more normal.. Thoughts?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,110 Posts
If it's real bad city driving them yes that would make a little sense. The 34-35 does sound right for highway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey! Replaced the ignition coil and it did not change anything. So i did take the car home for the holiday. Did a 600 mile road trip and on the highway i got 35mpg.. but in city traffic i am getting 21-22mpg.. I am thinking this is actually more normal.. Thoughts?
you're lucky one
i have 18 mpg city / 24 mpg highway (1.6) [woot]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
sudoer - so what kind of car are you posting on?

No North American focus is a 1.6, and the '02 ZTS in your info. is a Zetec engine, not the SPI talked about in this section....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can confirm about 18-20 my on city with lots of slopes. What tire psi are you running? Also I have a 2003 lx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts