Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Focus SE

I was driving my Mom back from the grocery store tonight because she had said it is sort of jumping sometimes. I felt what she was talking about earlier today but only once so I don't know how to describe it. Anywho, we were coming back from the grocery store tonight and while traveling about 50 mph it just died. I coasted into a parking lot and it wouldn't restart. It doesn't really sound right either. The starter turns but it sounds kinda muffled like older cars do when their flooded. I don't have a way to check the codes, but is there anything that I could try that is pretty common?

Also, a while back she was having problems with the overdrive off switch being engaged. That was caused by spilling a coke on the console and it getting into the second connection that that wire goes to (behind the gear stick). I just cut the wires on each side and taped them up apart from each other. I didn't clean the connector (I know I should have) which has several other wires in it. I don't know what those wires are but could one of them be the problem?

Thanks yall,
Kevin

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fuel pump or fuel pump crash/kill switch would be the first thing to check. Turn the key on without cranking and see if you hear the electric fuel pump run for a few seconds. Next check would be to get a fuel pressure guage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got it narrowed down to fuel pump or filter. Beat on the gas tank and it started. The fuel pump is so quiet I'm not sure I would have heard it from outside the car and after beating on the tank I had my mom turn the key on and I could barely hear it, then it started. I'm wondering now though if beating on it could have shook the filter up enough to allow gas passage.

I got it home and on ramps. Turned it off and it started back up when I tried it.

Is there a way to check the fuel pump?

The timing belt was replaced earlier this year with an engine swap.

Thanks yall,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
take it to a dealer. the 2000's had a recall on the fuel pump. they should replace it for free. i had a 2000 zx3 and got a recall letter in the mail about it. it would shut off on its own too and sometimes run like pure shite.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take it to a dealer. the 2000's had a recall on the fuel pump. they should replace it for free. i had a 2000 zx3 and got a recall letter in the mail about it. it would shut off on its own too and sometimes run like pure shite.

Sorry, It's an 01, not an 00, I messed up in the title. If there is a recall for them as well I'd like to find something to print out to take with me.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
982 Posts
You wouldn't believe all the crap that comes from gas station's fuel tanks! I have a 2000 and the fuel pump recall had been done in 2001. This past spring I started noticing the problems you describe. After changing; the fuel filter twice, spark plugs, plug wires, and coil, I decided to check the fuel pump. When I opened the pump housing I was shocked to see enough crap in there to fill a coffee mug. I cleaned up everything with carb cleaner and rinsed the tank with fresh gas. I put it all back together and haven't had a problem since. Removing the pump is a pain, but I'd bet it's there you'll find your problem!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't been able to find my haynes manual. How much is there to getting at the fuel pump? I figure I have to drop the tank, but how do I actually get to the pump? Do I need something to seal the tank back?

I appreciate all the help yall.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
no there should be a ring that tightens down on the sending unit like a bottle cap. you will need to either drop the tank which should be a royal pita or take a cutoff wheel and peel back your carpet and make a door in the bottom of the hatch. only make sure you know exactly where the sending unit is before attempting this. alot of people with trans am's do this to keep from dropping the tank. just hinge the door and it will be there under the carpet incase you ever need it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I don't know about using a cutoff wheel! Sparks and gasoline don't play well together. I used a very sharp chisel and hammer to cut thru the metal. I've added pictures to my gallery to show the location and size of the hole needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My focus just stoped and I had to pull off the side of the road. All the power worked but not the engine. You could not hear anything when I tried to start it. Could it be a fuse or the fuel pump or filter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts