Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my son to the doctors came out and put the keey in the ign. and it would not turn !just like I put somoneelses key in it or something,so I grabbed my wifes set,and tried same thing!! I am pi$$ed! I had it towed and its been sitting for too many days,I know how to get the complete ign. out "IF"it turned,but when it just doesnt turn,how do i GET IT OUT?????PLEASE HELP ANYONE! Thank you in advance.I tried the old lube,the banging they claim,and 10 other things they say to try...but it just wont turn at all! how do I get it out. And then what....THANK YOU AGAIN Rick[cheers]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure if this is related since both of your keys are not working, but a friend of mine with a bare bones ZX3 did not have a remote and used his key to get into his car door every day and eventually the key wore out. I don't know if your wife's set is newer or not, but thought I would throw that out there just in case you could try a fresh key.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes her key is fine and we always use the keyless to open the doors,my question is how can I remove that ignition if my key wont turn?? I know how to if the key turns.....but now Im screwed,we have tried everything,except extreme! like drilling,anyone know how to take one out when the key wont turn????PLEASE ANYONE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Probably going have to drill it, just do a seach on this forum and google. There is a serious issues with those ignitions. Make sure you buy the strattec replacement, an oem one will just fail again. Then you are going to have to have a lock smith key it for you.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Probably going have to drill it, just do a seach on this forum and google. There is a serious issues with those ignitions. Make sure you buy the strattec replacement, an oem one will just fail again. Then you are going to have to have a lock smith key it for you.
Not true at all [slap]

Ford recognized the problems with the old hammers metal finish style ignitions and now have newer updated style ignitions (Chrome capped)... a new one keyed to your car from Mike (b16sir1991) at Hilbish Ford is like $100

I already ordered one for one of my Wagons

heres the thread about them

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124917

as per if its fully locked up order a new Cylinder get it and have it in hand before doing this you may have only a few times this MAY work

do not try this to many times, some people have gotten lucky and they keep doing this eventually it will absolutely fail

first off remove the lower portion of your steering column cover
insert the key as far as you can and use a hammer and lightly tap the end of the key, if you see the cylinder shift in turn it about a quarter way and insert a nail punch/small alen key into the hole and press that pin. it will release the old cylinder in one piece, once out remove your key from it and insert the key into the new cylinder and turn it about a quarter way and insert the new cylinder lining the locking pin to the hole once clicked in remove the key and reinstall the lower cover.. all done :) new cylinder, no more frozen ignition

if it doesn't work you have to drill the heck out of the ignition to remove the screwed tumblers once there drilled out it will turn

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well a new problem to the whole "stuck" key not turning,I went to go over where the car is and tryed my key one more time ,ya know the little "tricks" and one little turn ahead and the top part of the ignition was laying in my lap when I pulled out my key! (the part the key first goes in)its about a 1/2 inch long or should I say now I look in the ignition and ,iM LOOKING IN A HOLE TO SEE WHERE THE KEY GOES....MY QUESTION AND PROBLEM IS i WAS ALREADY TO MARK MY IGNITION WITH THE "X" AND START DRILLING FROM THE ONLINE THING I GOT ON HERE AND PRINTED IT OFF ETC. ALL TOOLS WITH ME ,BUT NOW HOW FAR CAN I DRILL INTO THAT PART,WHERE I HAVE TO START "INSIDE" THE IGNITION???? I can still senter it and punch it for my starting drilll bit,not a problem there but im afraid I will drill to far as I planned to go by just how the internet said to do it,but with that piece out now what??? any fast help appriciated,this just plain sucks!!! THANKS GUYS!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
give me till I get back home from work to get a lineup of pictures for you ( about 2 hours)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I cannot PM you it said you either do not have permission to receive pm's or you disabled them

anyways do you have an instant messenger it may be quicker to figure out whats going on now... while i wait for this response im going to go out and remove the ignition from my parts wagon

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok well believe it or not i jus had the same exact problem not a week ago. in this situation you need to get it to the dealer or someone that can drill it and replace it(preferably dealer) and spend 390 dollars (how much i paid).

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
pain in the ass cylinders... we had this problem with a friends car. i pulled the cyl and opened it up and dumped out all the tumblers and springs. no more probs. also if the key comes out try spraying some graphite in there or something to free up the tumblers from their stuck position then try working the key to get it to turn

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
nah I believe from his descriptionsthat the cylinder literally broke.. he can get the key in and out.. it seems hes having the exact same problem like I did he probably drop a tumbler in the key channel and its preventing the key from properly being inserted...

as for people saying they drive around with no tumblers or a drilled ignition please keep that junk to yourself this site is about FIXING the problem not driving around with a drilled ignition....
lol 1001 excuses why someones drivin around with a punched ignition.. funny thing is were told to inspect cars when we check there parking where I used to work (Vehicle Impounding/Repossession) any vehicle with a tampered ignition is called an immediate tow straight to the police impound not ours.. theres been a massive jump in stolen cars

as mentioned just get a drill big enough to drill out the upper slide of the key channel and let the tumblers either get eaten away or let them fall into the drill hole and vaccume the peices out you should then be able to turn the ignition with a screwdriver to the cylinder release point of the pin pull the WHOLE Cylinder out and install a replacement..

as mentioned I would take pics I appologize and will do that now for future reference on how to do it (Im not going to actually drill mine but I will point out the depths and everything...

be back in a few I need to go remove my cylinder out of wagon 2

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
kk got the pics please note I'm NOT going to actually drill mine as mines the new style but I will be as detailed as I possible can

First picture I have the Inner debris door propped open with a drillbit so you can see down the Cylinders key Channel
Shine a flashlight down yours Im not sure if the old style has a trapdoor to keep debris out either way when you look down it you will see little gold tumblers hanging down
you need to get a drillbit slightly larger then the keys channel) drill as straight as possible ( it should be somewhat self guiding cus all your doing is chewing the sides away and keep drilling the space untill you shine your light down there and theres no debris or tublers hangin there ( a shop vac comes in very handy for pulling small shavings that slid down the remaining portion of the key channel)
Once drilled out you should be able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver
on some occasions when drilling it will actually jam a portion of the tumblers up there just drill it a few times more if they refuse to drop step up to one size larger on the drillbit and rehit the hole you just drilled
Once the cylinder is freed of the tumblers and it turns just turn the cylinder 1/4 way and depress the locking pin

heres a tip don't bother drilling just the pin, the ignition still won't slide out it has a secondary retaining ring that when you turn the key it aligns to the slots and allows the cylinder to slide out

First Picture: Shows what you will see down the keychannel/barrel of the ignition.. please note the one I used to demo has a trapdoor that snaps shut when the key is removed to keep crap and debris out, older styles don't have the trap door.. you will basically need to drill the outer edges of the key channel to remove all the tumblers

Second Picture: Shows the location of the release Peg/Pin that once turned a quarter way you depress to release the cylinder (the pin doesn't depress alot and will need a good push to release the cylinder... a little wobbling of the cylinder while the pin is depressed will help release the cylinder)

Third Picture: is a picture of the key in the ignition to show approx depth on how much to drill out

Fourth Picture: is another picture showing the approximate depth of what has to be drilled out

Fifth Picture : Shows the keyed retaining band/clip on the backs of the ignition cylinder

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
whats wrong with a tumbler less ingnition? looking at it you would never know. no other key will crank the car. it has pats. its just like a cyl with tumblers, only ford keys will go in the ignition but only the key for the car will crank the car. my friend has a tumbler less ignition for about a year now with no probs. you would never know it was tumbler less. now a drilled cyl i can understand.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
not to mention it can save someone 3-600 dollars in bs charges for a stupid tow and replacement cyl

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
im kinda afraid to suggest this because i might not fully understand the problem and might be getting my head torn off shortly but oh well. if you can insert the key into the ignition but it wont turn try turning the steering wheel slightly while you try to turn the key. try turning the wheel both ways. dunno if thats what your talking about or not. if the key wont go in the ignition then yes you will probably have to drill it. sorry. please dont bite my head off

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few months ago my key goes in but wont turn. Now you can bee crazy like the people above and spend $100 or more on a new cylinder, but I have a 2001, and who wants to spend that kinda money on a 8 or 9 year old car? Not me, I took a screw driver that was the same size as the hole you insert the key into I took a hammer and hit it three times and broke the tumblers. Car runs great and starts fine. Ow and FYI you have a security device in your key that prevents people from starting the car without your key. In other words you can start the car with a screwdriver as long as your original key is pressed up against the steering column. I am just trying to save you the hassle of buying a new cylinder, and by the by mine looks just as good as it did before I hit it with a hammer so no one would ever know. hope this help and no offense to those trying to sell there products but not everyone wants to spend a buncha money on a 8 or 9 year old car.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
First off some people actually LIKE there cars and some are pessimistic about them a $100 cylinder is nothing compared to some people with $1000 exhausts that sounds like an absolute Pile of sheit, or somone who spends 5 grand on a turbo setup just so they can go hey I have a turbo ( no this is not to the people who use there turbos for proper reasons like racing)

I see it this way, punched ignition hey look dude can;t afford to fix his car...

lets see $100 cylinder custom keyed so all you do is pop the old one out and the new one back in or drive around with an ignition that can turn on its own cool I just got my hands on a ride where all i do is turn it 1/4 way which is enuf to unlock the steering lock and hey look its a standard lets roll car down the road and strip it.. or should we spend it ($100) on 10 feet of 0gauge wire for an amp that the stock sub amp would kill, or lets see lets buy a fancy spark plug cover thats basically useless in any way and form other then looks

as per what i have said go ahead and do what you like but don't bother commin back here sayin a cop pulled you over and gave you the 5th degree on if the cars stolen or not or if your car actually DOES get stolen

Focusmaniaczx3:
Theres a common issue with the older style ignitions breaking all ford dealers know that the tumblers wear out and jam causing the key not to turn even if you belt the wheel side to side... its not the steering interlock that breaks its the actual tumbler inside the steering lock cylinder that breaks

P.S. last time I saw a focus with a punched ignition I nearly caused 3 people to have heart attacks laughin cuz the dude spent something like 2 grand on rims and tires yet has a gaping hole where the cylinder goes.. needless to say he drove away and never shows his face

My motto Fix your car the right way cuz if you have problems down the road cuz your to lazy to do it right the first time don't bother returning cuz why should we offer assistance to somone who never listens to it enyways

I nearly kicked some 9 year olds ass for sticking a kids cartoon show sticker on the hood of focus wagon 2 which doesn't run and has an absolute smelly interior.. I still care for the car needless cuz I will be spending pretty much the YEAR rebuilding Wagon 2 from Wagon 1's interior/engine... as for Wagon 2's engine it won't start cuz of a bad timing belt which I'm gunna replace get it running and sell it

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
if you take the cyl out of the car and open it up and remove the tumblers the key cyl face does no change. it is not punched or drilled. you still HAVE you use your key exactly the way you did before you removed the tumblers. it looks and works like factory only there are no tumblers to jam. any FORD key will insert into the ignition, only none of them will start the car but your key. but thats the same as any other ford ignition. my f150 and escape key will slide into my focus ignition but none of them will crank the car. even if they would turn the ignition on the theft deturrent system will go off and the car will not crank. removing the tumblers is a simple cheap way to fix a broken cyl without spending hundreds of dollars for drilling/tow/replacement/labor.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts